Making a chef's knife

ryan

I would like to start making chef's knives using either cpm154 or elmax, problem is I don't know where to start. I have a design on paper and was going to order the flat stock, cut the shape on my band saw. And that is as far as I've gotten. My question is what do I do about heat treating, and will the steel come flat ground or will I have to machine it myself. I'm looking for for some pointers on where a newbie can start.

Hello Ryan,
You can buy the steel ground or with scale. I suggest getting it surface ground.
Also the CPM-154 sounds like a great way to start. I would wait on the Elmax till you have done a few.
I use CPM-154 a lot and I get it ground from Niagara specialty Metals,
www.nsm-ny.com/ Get 5/32" or 1/8" depending on how thick and tall of a Chef knife you are making?

Hope this helps?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Sounds good I'll look at them, what about heat treating? When does that happen, I can not do it myself so I have to have someone else do that for me.

Heat treatment can be done after profiling and also done after grinding most of your bevels.
To start, I suggest you profile then grind your bevels before heat treatment. You can do your finish grinding after HT and before your handles.

I wait till I have about 30-50 blades to sent to HT before they go out. You are well come to send yours to me for HT, I just go a batch back and it may be about a month or two before I send out another batch.

There are some Heat Treaters on the forums that do blades also.
I suggest you get the steel and get grinding first.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back