Making a mark?

Joetrain

I've noticed everyone's knives have thier maker's mark on them and I was wondering the methods for going about this. Some of them appear to be etched while others seem stamped. I have stamping tools for leather but it seems like strking hot metal might damage them, and a drummel tool seems to random. Any suggestions?

Stamping and etching are the most common methods. Stamping requires a stamp made of hardened tool steel and can be done hot or cold, some guys use a fixture to hold the stamp and/or blade while doing it, especially if doing it cold. When I stamp, I do it hot, by hand. Stamping has to be done prior to heat treating in any case.

Etching marks requires an electro-etching machine, electrolyte fluid and a stencil of the impression (some guys coat the blade with wax or something and scratch out the image rather than using a stencil but this is less predictable and takes more work).

With etching you can get a "ghost etch" without a machine, you can use a phone charger plug or something.

Back