Mammoth tusk stabilization help

Oze

Hi. Just acquired some small pieces of mammoth. I guess it is really mammoth ivory bark. Some is in poorer condition and looks dry. Any suggestions on stabilization or treatment?

I just saw this.... If you have the dry/crumbly bark, there's really not much hope for it if you're intent is to use it by itself.

Something I have seen done is using a casting resin of some type and doing it in such a manner that the finished scales or blocks present the ivory in it's best form.

Not many stabilizing outfits are accepting ivory these days.....they don't want to risk it with the high price of the ivory.

I was thinking along those lines. Parts are quite good and other could become a bit experimental. If it is in resin it should be ok too. Another skill to learn. Who ever said knife making isn't a challenge. Thankyou again Ed for you input.

Hi. Just acquired some small pieces of mammoth. I guess it is really mammoth ivory bark. Some is in poorer condition and looks dry. Any suggestions on stabilization or treatment?
If you post a picture, I may be able to help.

how about super glue.......it will fill the cracks and stabilize and it polishes great

Back