Mean little fighter- frame handle, take down

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This was a commissioned piece headed for Texas. It was a lot of fun (and a bit of a challenge for me) to build. I really enjoyed working with this collector. He was very nice and very patient and not at all demanding. He liked a small cowboy bowie that I made a while back but wanted one with a couple changes. He made his requests and we tossed some ideas and materials back and forth and this is what we came up with.

The clip is RAZOR sharp on this! (a first for me)
This is also a full take down and every piece fits exactly with no play anywhere

Hand forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched and etched dark
11" overall, 6 1/2" blade, .210" at the ricasso
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
Sharpened clip
My own damascus guard and collars
Fileworked bronze spacer
African Blackwood handle scales
Fileworked Bronze frame
Browned/Bronzed screws
Checkered Stainless steel finial nut

The beautiful leather is by Claude Scott. He does fantastic work!

All discussion, comments, critique, and opinions welcome.

Last edited:
Very nice John, I especially like the hamon and the fluting on the handle. Can you take the handle off as one piece or does it have to be completely disassembled?

From design to execution this ones for the record books.
Congratulations John you must be very proud.

Thank you all for the kind words. It means a lot to me.

Very nice John, I especially like the hamon and the fluting on the handle. Can you take the handle off as one piece or does it have to be completely disassembled?

Darrin, great question. Yes you can take the handle off without removing the screws and disassembling the scales/frame. That's kind of nice but admittedly it was not an intentional feature thought of ahead of time. More like a happy accident.

From design to execution this ones for the record books.
Congratulations John you must be very proud.

Mark, I'm happy that something so complicated (for me) turned out relatively well. I don't have all this figured out for sure. I'll quote my friend Ben Seward and say that every once in a while, just enough goes right that I can actually get a decent knife finished. :)

Thanks again all.

John,
The only way I can say what a beautiful and ingenious knife you have made is,
Maybe in my next life of knife making I could think up and execute a knife that great!

John, very, very nice knife and work,:biggrin: I love every thing about this piece........except for the screws holding the scales on. I understand that this may be a necessity with it being a complete take down and is not a criticism, just my opinion for what it's worth!

Back