Michael Ruth Jr. "Ruthless" Series # 1

jklein7401

I have a little story to tell regarding this fine knife and Michael. We first me at the Arkansas show a few months back. You may or may not remember Roger's photo's from the show but one was of a really nice bowie that Michael had made. I regretted letting that slip through my hands but came up with an idea. I approached Michael and offered this challenge. Make me a killer bowie, the finest piece you have ever made and "Ruthless" #1 is the result. The deal was if you make a nice enough piece I will buy a JS test knife, JS stamp knife, MS test knife, and MS stamp knife at the minimum. The flip side was "if you blow it, I guess we are done at one knife" Well that surely seemed to hit a nerve and fired Michael up. Over the last couple of months it has been an absolute pleasure talking with him about this piece, listening to the heartache he went through at times, and feeling his commitment. The result of this challenge to me is one of the finest pieces I have had the pleasure of placing in my collection. :D I cannot begin to shower enough praise on what Michael has accomplished. It has been some time since I have been this excited over a knife. Do not get me wrong I treasure each and every piece I own and the relationship's I have with the makers. However, this one for me is so personal I will treasure it for years to come.

I thought it would only be appropriate to add a special sheath and Paul Long's outstanding full coverage Crocodile sheath surely fit the bill. To top it all off Chuck's fantastic pictures complete the experience.

Ruthless series bowie:

16.5" overall length
11.5" Blade 200 layer ladder pattern Damascus 1084/15n20
Guard and Sculpted Butt cap 300 layer Damascus 1084/15n20
W-Pattern Ferrule
Fossil Walrus Ivory handle
Paul Long Full coverage Croc Sheath

Well enough of my rambling here it is:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I know I have 4 more on order now, he certainly met the challenge head on. I believe he is going to be one hot commodity at Blade and would highly recommend contacting him. His order book is going to fill up quickly.

Please enjoy it as much as I do, Jon

Last edited:
He showed you...didn't he? Awesome piece. The furniture is really nice. You are one lucky dog. Can't wait to see the next.

Pat

Back