Mike Williams Rio Negro Bowie - African Blackwood and Damascus Steel

Buddy Thomason

Mike Williams, ABS Master Smith, often identifies his knives using names of Oklahoma geographic landmarks, features, Native American tribes, historic events etc. Rio Negro (Black River) is an apt name for this big beautiful Bowie-style fighter that features Mike's own forged Damascus steel and a dark-as-night sculpted African Blackwood handle. OAL is 15 1/2 inches, blade 10 and handle 5 1/2. The knife weighs 15.6 ounces and the balance point is mid-ricasso.
The owner/collector requested that I clearly show the handle's shapely design over a background color that evokes the classic red-dirt butte found in the area. There is actually a subtle hint of that deep red-brown color in the handle wood. Note the 'window' treatment of the guard and pommel with timed screws - always a nice touch in a quality custom knife.

orig.jpg

Wow!!! as in WOW!!!! that is an impressive Bowie, as well as good photography. That guard and pommel are both impressive. LOTS of work in those small details.

Ken H>

Love the guard and pommel. Nice knife. Something about that pommel makes me think old car or motorcycle, can't put me finger on it exactly, but that shape sure tugs on a memory. Maybe an old Harley bezel. Model A?
imagesZYG0G9ZN.jpg

Back