Model #40

Very nicely done Art- I like it. I've never seen one done that way with boltsters and hidden tang together. Did you use thong tube to attach wood or some other way?

Great work as usual Art.
I thought I was the only one who did them that way. Over the years I never saw it done by anyone else. Great minds think alike !

Rudy

Rudy, I thought that I may have seen it before , but can't remember seeing it , or where. I'll have to check out your pictures or you could post a picture here on my post.

PS: Rudy I just looked at you pictures yes I like your knives . I guess there will be two of us making knives that way now . I was hoping that I was the first to do it . But I may have seen one of your and that stuck in my mind , but don't remember , guess that is from old age hee hee.

Last edited:
Art,
The comments are very kind of you but I don't view this as a contest. I can't say I was first, not that it matters, because honestly someone must of gone this route at some point before or after 1986 when I started mangling steel. I've just never seen it untill today and over the years at shows even other makers thought it was a novel idea . Keep doing what you're doing...it works, I always enjoy seeing your work and I can only hope to be compared to you.

It's kind of you to allow my pics in your post.
As a comparison only and not to out do you.....I'll do that as soon as the queen is available. My camera mojo is non-existant.

A recent one and one I did for my grand son 4 (?) years ago.
2012_1231hunterbolster0004.jpg 331.jpg

Thanks,
Rudy

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments.

PS: and thanks Rudy for the pictures , But I'll bet your were about the first .

I've been making my knives like this for years too. I guess that's at least three of us with the same idea. I have never seen anyone else with this style either. I found by using this method, I can use just about any shape handle material I can get my hands on.Buffalo horn, white turquoise, 304 s.s., four inch D-2 blade (800x600).jpg

I really like your knife Art. I looked at the pictures before I read your comments and I admit, the first thing I noticed was your signature bolster style. I like the way you worked the entire knife. Good job as always!

Thanks, Eric and everyone for the comments . And Steve , nice knive.

Steve schnetter, Thats 4 of us now , there is you , me , Rudy Joly , and Denis Budak,

Nice work Steve.

The "club" is growing by leaps and bounds. lol. We may be trend setters !
I originally came up with this method because a handle heavey knife drives me nuts. If anything, I prefer a little weight forward. I found that adding the bolsters acted as balancing weights to bring the balance forward. This works well with my stacked leather handles and sometimes stag, but stabilized woods are still a challenge. Sorry your thread took a bit of a detour Art but I've found this interesting and we're learning something (I hope).

Rudy

Hey a little detour don't hurt any one . I have really enjoyed this .
And Judy, funny that is the same reason that I made mine. For a better feal.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I must admit another reason I started using this method, was to avoid soldering the guard on, which I suck at. My photos don't show the the layers of alternating black fiber and nickle silver spacers below the stainless bolsters. Maybe I will show some various views of my knives. A lot of my knives have over fifty pieces in them. Most importantly, I like people to use them and give me feedback on how they perform. I tell them I will resharpen them when needed and spruce them back up to look like new again for free. I think I'm addicted to making knives. I'm also very open to criticism to make my knives better, so don't hold back on comments.

Back