More Money Than Sense.

I like Mark Rothko, and I consider Banksy a lightweight. Banksy's good for millennials, who are also lightweights.

But, let's not forget, I'm just some guy shooting his mouth off on the Internet. ;)
I guess Bansky will continue to be a lightweight until he offs himself. Then he will be taken seriously like Rothko. :eek:

@jmforge But let's remember that Rothko only "offed himself" after 25 years of making some of the most astounding pictures of the 20th Century. I think they are pictures that a knife maker could appreciate because of the craft that went into them. As for Banksy, he can't die soon enough. Just kidding. Banksy's line is the Conceptual Art stuff going back to the 1960s. It made money for art school programs, but never produced great art, and it's viejo sombrero as far as I'm concerned.

I wish we could talk more about painting, but I don't want to get kicked off the forum for being Off-Topic. :oops:

Buster Warenski made a replica of the king Tut dagger years ago out of solid gold. I believe it's latest value was around one million dollars.
there's a lot of expensive high end knives out there and a lot of people with the money to buy them.

@jmforge But let's remember that Rothko only "offed himself" after 25 years of making some of the most astounding pictures of the 20th Century. I think they are pictures that a knife maker could appreciate because of the craft that went into them. As for Banksy, he can't die soon enough. Just kidding. Banksy's line is the Conceptual Art stuff going back to the 1960s. It made money for art school programs, but never produced great art, and it's viejo sombrero as far as I'm concerned.

I wish we could talk more about painting, but I don't want to get kicked off the forum for being Off-Topic. :oops:
Several stripes of similar color horizontally on a canvas? Not exactly Picasso's blue period. Was there even a unique method of producing them like with Pollock. Enrst, Klimt, Matisse, etc? As for Bansky, we heard some of the same arguments re Warhol. Mundane/unworthy subjects was the typical complaint, yet the same folks would rave about an exquisite rendition of some apples by an old Master. BUt then again, I'm a Magritte fan, so I"m weird anyway. :D

Buster Warenski made a replica of the king Tut dagger years ago out of solid gold. I believe it's latest value was around one million dollars.
there's a lot of expensive high end knives out there and a lot of people with the money to buy them.
That may have been the value when it made. Lots of gold and stones went into that before the work actually started.

That Tut dagger was so cool. It was the showstopper piece at the first table in the Guild show in either '85 or '86. It was in a display case and you could get right up on it to see all that amazing detail. The stories about how long it took Warenski to learn how to work the gold, from blade to all that granulation work, were very cool at the time.

Incredible piece from a nice, ordinary guy. Approachable. And what a treat to see that dagger up close.

I saw the King Tut knife at the knifemakers guild show in Orlando, I forget what year it was. that was an awesome piece to see in person, the whole run of guild shows in Orlando were filled with awesomeness.
I had a table there for about five years, then they decided to move it. unfortunatly I believe that was a big mistake the guild never recovered from.

I saw the King Tut knife at the knifemakers guild show in Orlando, I forget what year it was. that was an awesome piece to see in person, the whole run of guild shows in Orlando were filled with awesomeness.
I had a table there for about five years, then they decided to move it. unfortunatly I believe that was a big mistake the guild never recovered from.
I remember going to the Guild show in like '92 in Orlando at the big Marriott. That year, I think they had maybe close to 400 tables. The next year, it was supposedly bigger. The hotel opened am even bigger ballroom. Didn't make that one. I went to one when it was at the SeaWorld hotel, but not the same.

Yep, once they left the Marriot it was never the same and we couldn't go back, we lost our time slot with that hotel and the guild bylaws had a particulr time frame for the show they had to follow back then. I kept a table thru Vegas, New Orleans, Louisville and Kansas city. I haven't done a guild show in a few years, too much going on with moving, new house, shop and other stuff. I'd like to do it again soon in Texas though.

Back