More than one...

Kev

In my various attempts at craftsmanship over the years one theme has remained constant. TJ make one of anything is an endeavor in art. Minor tweaks here and there are simply part of the creative process. However when one attempts to make to make more than one item identical to one another, it becomes an endeavor for a craftsman. Prior planning, and skill come into play more than ever.
A friend asked me to create 6 identical knives for him to give away as groomsmen gifts. I gave it a shot. Much harder than I originally assumed. I’ll keep working at it.
2C974610-EE81-4761-8E8E-B81FFB6D6B8B.jpeg

I'm not sure a human can make things "identical". I'm working on a set of three now for a father and two sons. They will look as much alike as I can make them but there will be differences. Just part of "handmade and custom". :)

I shudder anytime somebody mentions "make them the same". Even way back when I had patterns for knives, I just hated making "two" of anything in a row. :)

Exactly. I am still very much the rank amateur, and mistakes happen more frequently than I care to accept. I’m still learning my machines, still learning the craft. That being the case I’m learning to fix my mistakes, little by little. That results in every knife being a little bit different even if I’m trying otherwise.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Back