My 1st slip joint

I've been reading, researching, & bugging anyone who would answer questions about how to make slip joints for almost 3 years. I finally decided that it was time to get off the fence and try one. I want to thank Stan Buzek, Todd Davidson, & Bill DeShivs for taking the time to share their knowledge with me. I think all the preparation paid off because I ended up with a functional knife on my first try. I learned a ton and I hope they get progressively better as I make more. My next hurdle is finding a way to put add a proper nail knick. I will be ordering the stuff to do so in the next few days.
Anyway, on to the knife itself. Texas Jack pattern, 3 & 7/8" long closed with a 3" blade and an open length of 6 & 7/8". Steel is .125" Z-FiNit and is hardened to HRC-59. Full flat grind with a 600X belt finish. It is linerless and has O.D. green canvas Micarta. I still can't believe it but the pull is absolutely perfect and the walk and talk are super nice. It is nice and flush in all 3 positions and the blade is perfectly centered.
Comments, questions, & constructive criticism are welcomed.

Thanks for looking,

D

Attachments

• First Slip Joint #1 .jpg
    First Slip Joint #1 .jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 57
  • First Slip Joint #2 .jpg
    First Slip Joint #2 .jpg
    87 KB · Views: 53
  • First Slip Joint #3 .jpg
    First Slip Joint #3 .jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 49
Very nice knife. I messed up another back spring tonight. Making these is definitely not as easy as a fixed blade.

Look's good Darrin. I need to get back in the shop and work on one I've had on the bench for way to long.

Looks like a great knife for the right front pocket! Right where a knife should be. You mentioned that you were surprised at how well it turned out. We certainly aren't, coming from a great maker like you. Thanks for sharing.

As per a suggestion in my first slipjoint thread I cut in the nail nick using a dremel cut off wheel mounted in my drill press. Worked like a charm. Great looking slippy!

Last edited:
Well done, Darrin !!

I'm still just with liner locks and will probaby just stay there. Guys like you are putting the pressure on.
Frank

Back