My 4 x 36 Belt Sander Mod for frugal beginners.

Mark Barone

I know this topic might be overdone but I thought I'd share mine.
It's ok for now until I get a big boy sander.

1. I added a 2x4 piece of blade steel to the original platen. I probably should have made it 4 x 4 but it's tall enough for now. I also thought the smaller the platen the flatter it would stay. This allows a way for the sanding belt to hang over either side of the new platen and gives you away of getting plunge lines. I used metal screws and sanded the heads flush with the new platen. Oh and I thought it would make the belt too tight because I added thickness , but it works fine.
Fun Fact : Round the corners just a hair on the right and left sides of your new platen or the sharp metal edges will tear apart the edge of your 15 dollar belt ...especially while tracking . I've done it.

2. The sander comes with a work table but it's not big enough to slide a jig on it. I used precision pine and particle board (sarcasm) to give a stable surface, if you can weld, you may want to use longerlasting materials.

3. I just use 60 grit to make the bevel and 220 to make it finer. Then hand sand . My biggest challenge. I've tried many more grit steps on this sub par sander and it just creates too many funny marks. I know I'll have to frequently monitor the levelness. Is that a word?

So i am hoping to give some beginners like me ideas and hopefully others will improve on mine.

RetroIMG_2869.JPGIMG_2870.JPG

Last edited:
Nice mod. I put a 4x4 ceramic tile on mine like Scott did. Even though I now have a 2x72, I still use my 4x36 for some tasks.

That is pretty much exactly how I got started. I have a combo 4x36 and disc sander. I had to make a platen for it to make it work better.

I know this topic might be overdone but I thought I'd share mine.
It's ok for now until I get a big boy sander.

1. I added a 2x4 piece of blade steel to the original platen. I probably should have made it 4 x 4 but it's tall enough for now. I also thought the smaller the platen the flatter it would stay. This allows a way for the sanding belt to hang over either side of the new platen and gives you away of getting plunge lines. I used metal screws and sanded the heads flush with the new platen. Oh and I thought it would make the belt too tight because I added thickness , but it works fine.
Fun Fact : Round the corners just a hair on the right and left sides of your new platen or the sharp metal edges will tear apart the edge of your 15 dollar belt ...especially while tracking . I've done it.

2. The sander comes with a work table but it's not big enough to slide a jig on it. I used precision pine and particle board (sarcasm) to give a stable surface, if you can weld, you may want to use longerlasting materials.

3. I just use 60 grit to make the bevel and 220 to make it finer. Then hand sand . My biggest challenge. I've tried many more grit steps on this sub par sander and it just creates too many funny marks. I know I'll have to frequently monitor the levelness. Is that a word?

So i am hoping to give some beginners like me ideas and hopefully others will improve on mine.

RetroView attachment 65603View attachment 65604
This is great... thanks for the tips

Back