My Cheap Craftsman Belt Grinder

If that drill gets tired go to McMaster carr and order a 10mm i.d 5/8 o.d bushing for a pulley and go from there.

Good thinking... I still have my Craftsman 2 x 42 and use it for quick things. I doubt I will ever give it up until it dies.
Thinking the way you are thinking and creating the way you are...you are on your way!

Can you explain the drill and variable speed bit? I have an old Craftsman that could sure benefit from that.

If you remove the 6" disk you have the shaft sticking out. I just chuck up the drill on the shaft and use a clamp to pull the trigger of the drill. The drill is turning the entire unit. The motor of the grinder is not on. You should probably unplug it to be safe. The drill has 2 speeds and the grinder one. That's the 3 total speeds. You will likely not have all the torque necessary to actually work on flats or anything, however I use this setup for sharpening where light and minimal contact is made. At full speed you can overheat the steel or slip and cause a massive blemish on an otherwise completed blade. This mod was intended to give me control while reducing the chance of overheating the cutting edge during sharpening.

Brandon, I did the same thing with my platen, but I wish I wouldn't have bothered. I think the ceramic tile is one of those false economy things. Better to just get a hard glass or hard steel to begin with and be done with it. My grinds were of until I replaced it with a glass liner from Tracy.

Back