My first knife shown here...

Hi Folks,
I recently tried my hand at making a carbon/stainless laminate blade. Here's my first attempt. Just finished it yesterday.

31410-1.jpg

31410-2.jpg

31410-3.jpg

31410-4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That is wicked looking. Interested in how that laminate will perform.

Charlie

Looks real good Phillip.

Could you give us the specs. on the knife and the process used to laminate the blade?

Larry

I havent been around to long but thats the first I have see of anything like that.....and I like it. That blade is wild looking:cool:

Thanks for the comments everyone! Much appreciated.

To answer your questions:

Looks great, what is the handle made of?
Jim

The handle is white corian. I wanted to use a synthetic, but something that would look a little classier than micarta. ;)

Ernie Swanson said:
also how is the edge holding capabilities?

The core is 1095 hardened to 61-62 RC, so I think it'll hold it's edge pretty well. 2thumbs

LR Adkins said:
Looks real good Phillip.

Could you give us the specs. on the knife and the process used to laminate the blade?

Larry

The blade is 7-3/4", long, 2" at the widest, and the total length is 12-1/4".
The blade is about 5/32" at the ricasso, and tapers to the tip.

The process I used for this billet was as described by Burt Foster in a WIP thread he did recently at bladeforums. Which is, basically, take one piece of carbon steel, and sandwich it between 2 pieces of 416 or other stainless, making sure that the surfaces are as clean and flat as possible.

Then clamp them together and arc weld all the seams closed. Then arc weld a handle on, and cook at a welding heat for 10 minutes or so, then hammer or press it together. The draw it out to the thickness you want.

Make sure you grind off the weld beads before hammering it edge on, otherwise you'll just force the filler into the billet and it'll make a mess.

The contrast is produced by etching, just like damascus.

Dan Pierson said:
Look great! Was that your first attempt at welding a billet of this composite?

Yep, first try. It didn't come out quite perfect, which is why this one is staying home. There's a cold shut/inclusion on the spine.

Last edited:
It didn't come out quite perfect, which is why this one is staying home. There's a cold shut/inclusion on the spine.

That's because you didn't use the super glue! :D

Having made a blade that Burt's laminate, I'll tell you yours looks great. And the chef's knife itself looks great. Corian seems to be a nice choice for this knife. Drip some CA into the shut to seal it off and slice some roast beef!

David

Back