my first knife!!! (two actually)

SHOKR

20120920_195321.jpg20120920_195426.jpg20120920_195450.jpg

leaf spring, 6.2mm

these have flaws coming out the wazzoo, but i needed to break the curse of the first knife, lots more to follow :D

20120916_105751.jpg

shoulld be getting these from HT today or tomoro (O1)

Those two look GREAT ! Way to overcome some difficulties along the way too.

FWIW I've only ever seen a couple knives without ANY flaws I could see with my eyes. And I've been fotunate to handle ALOT of knives. Stiving for perfection as you see it is the name of the game but they all fall short for one reason or another.

Mark your calender for a year from now and see the progress you've made. Keep at it like you have been and your gonna be AMAZED at the progress you make in that time.

Excited to see what you come up with !!!

-Josh

I wish my first knives looked half that good. That small one really looks well thought out. The design makes sense seeing it in the hand.

Doug

thanks A LOT guys for the vote of confidence :) hopefully what comes next will be even better

special thanks to Josh, you suffered quite a bit with me here lol

i messed up the sharpening real bad tho... got lots of studying to do on that!

Explain what you did with your edge starting at thickness pre-sharpening until finished and what exactly you suspect is a problem with your final edge and we'll be able to give accurate suggestions based on your methods.

Lotsa ways to skin this cat but none of them are really easy. Welcome to knifemaking ! :)

I didn't bother posting on FB because a lot of sound advice was given by others IMHO.

FWIW, your spring steel will most likely get crazy sharp with good technique.

-Josh

hey Josh, sorry for the late reply, just needed internet access from my laptop

20120928_093751.jpg20120928_093802.jpg
that was the first one i worked on, one of the sides was ruined as you can see :D

20120928_093727.jpg20120928_093736.jpg
thats the second

20120927_101118.jpg
thats my platen set up

at first i didnt even know how to hold the edge against the belt, i held the edge upwards (against the motion of the belt) but then i remembered i saw video with it held downwards, i dont remember exactly how the steps went but i remember trying above the top wheel, but the belt kept flexing so much, then tried between the top wheel and the platen bit didnt feel right for me, the settled above the top wheel but very close to it so tension is bit high. i also had great deal of trouble deciding or settling on an angle, you'll see the effect of course on the first knife.

one of the blades was thin, slightly over 0.5mm i think so i went right ahead for the 400grit

the other needed bit of work so started with the 220 then went too 400grit

the product was the small one is sharp at parts but the edge is no longer a straight line (concave at the middle)

the hunter does look good but its not sharp! i was planning on regridning the edge slightly and then sharpening, just wanted to learn bit about it more. after the 400 grit belt i went to 600 by hand (since i have no polishing compound or sharpening stones so far) but it still of course wasnt sharp in the end

also got blunt knives from my parents house to practice on muahahaha

Last edited:
Back