My first knife

tedinatl

HI everyone,

I just completed my first knife!!! The blade is O1 tool steel, 9" OAL, and the blade is 4 1/2" long, heat treated by Peter's Heat Treating. The scales are Brazilian Walnut, and I made the mosaics myself (not perfect - my first try as well). The sheath is made from 9 oz leather, hand stitched and stained Antique Brown. Everything was made with files and sand paper (except for a drill press) - I only got my grinder after I'got the blade back form heat treating. The blade is polished down to 2500 grit (no buffer, yet, so I can't get it super shiny :les:)

Thanks for looking, and any comments/critique are always welcomed!

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It really was a learning process, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think I'll ever do one completely by hand again!

John, numbers 2 through 5 are already at the heat treaters...

I like it!
Do you have a makers mark yet? Don't let that one go until you get it on there.
Keep it up make sure to post lots of pics!
~Eric

No maker's mark yet. I'm busy refining the design, and then I might buy myself an etcher for Christmas... Oh, and I'm not planning on giving this one away (or selling it).

That's a good lookin knife. I'm on my third knife and I still don't have a mark yet. I'm a little picky so I imagine it won't come anytime soon.

Very nice looking knife. Well done. This is not your first project you've made with your hands I'd guess?
Dozier

Airborne - The back isn't 100% flat. I slightly rounded the corners to give it a more finished look.

Dozier, no, I afraid I'm a habitual tinkerer. My wife says I need some type of support group - I tell her I do - the forum... I've got a lot of woodworking/cabinetry experience (all custom, solid wood, one-off pieces for specific orders), and I am blessed by some good genes (my grandfather was an absolute master with his hands). I'm also into building scale airplanes and boats (haven't done it in quite a while, though).

Back