my first liner locking folding knife!

Vance C.

Hey guys, I just finished my first liner lock knife, before this, I had only done friction folders (two to be exact) but i wanted to try more machining, and more precision work this time. I can say that for my first, its not bad, it will open, lock, close, and stay closed in your pocket. The design isn't bad, but the thing I had some trouble with on it was the spacer, it was too thin, so I added some gasket material on each side of it, the pocket clip was a bit of a challenge. Also I didn't have a tight enough tolerance on my drill press, so the pivot pin was oh so slightly off center vertically. But Im happy, i did the whole thing with a drill press and a sears grinder. check it out!!

this is a picture of the spacers i put between the spine and the liners, before i put the pocket clip on
2011-09-20005416.jpg

heres the pocket clip, I tried to carve out the wood around it, but it didnt go as well as i had hoped. so it looks kind of weird to me
2011-09-20171957.jpg

this is it! its a 1095 blade, mild steel bolsters, 1095 spine, stainless screws, liners, and clip, and i always forget what kind of wood, it was something nice my uncle gave me
2011-09-21171327.jpg

If your first one actually locks open and stays closed you're doin good. Congrats on your first one...now you're really hooked.

Great first effort. I like the return sweeping pocket clip. I attempted a liner lock for my very first knife and pulled it off, and it was one of the most challenging things I've ever done.

That said, I think you did a very good job.

Back