my knives

20121208_185320.jpg20121208_185338.jpg20121208_185449.jpg

i finished these 'mini throwing axes' couple of days ago, left them at the 'HT finish' (i just clean them with powder laundry soap and a scotch sponge

they are balanced on a pencil ;)

21 and 25cm OAL, from 6mm leaf springs

cant wait to try these :D

IMG_20121208_160248.jpgIMG_20121208_181401.jpgIMG_20121208_194015.jpg

i occurred to me that i never actually tested any of the knives i finished, so i took the chance of this knife that didnt pass the appearance test. if i remember correctly i took the edge to .5mm, then old 120g belt on platen, 400g on slack between idler wheel and platen then strop and nothing more

thats from 6mm leaf spring btw

it shaved hair with almost no pressure, then cut paracord, then folded paracord 8, cut through it with just slight pressure. then did that to a piece of 1x2 (its what i had at the moment and i stopped because my arm hurt (yes i know i know))
then decided to try on that 1cm diameter wire, that needed either lean with my body weight, swing blade or hack, even after that it removed hair with almost no pressure

THEN i decided to go cuckoo on soda can, it did cut through but not so smoothly ( i have nothing else to compare to really) abd still removed hair but had to apply considerable pressure!

now i will have to resharpen with my new, and just in time, spyderco tri-angle :D

btw if you guys have any test methods let me know, i did intend to take that to destruction

finished these today

20121231_133142.jpg

IMG_20121231_143202-1.jpg

4.7mm O1 steel. 22.5cm OAL. 10cm edge. White and black G10

IMG_20121231_142747.jpg

20121231_135756.jpg

4.7mm O1. 19.5cm OAL aprox. 9cm edge. With swedge (false edge) Black linen micarta.

Looks good and clean. If you have access to a sandblaster you can smooth the ridges with it, that said it has visual appeal my man! Looking forward to seeing more.

Lets see the throwing blades in action!

Last edited:
Great work. That black and tan Micarta or G10 came out better than when I used it. Very nice lines on those knives.

Doug

Shane, thanks
I wish i had, i cant wait to try sand blasters, coatings, tumblers, etc.

I cant wait to the throwing blades myself, just cant find something i want to destroy yet ;)

Doug, thanks a lot
Honestly i too were surprised, i often mess handles, but this one is even symmetrical!! :D (with slight mess ups of course lol)

View attachment 37021View attachment 37022View attachment 37023

i finished these 'mini throwing axes' couple of days ago, left them at the 'HT finish' (i just clean them with powder laundry soap and a scotch sponge

they are balanced on a pencil ;)

21 and 25cm OAL, from 6mm leaf springs

cant wait to try these :D

Shokr,

These appear to be one sided grinds? On a axe you will find that they won't fly even, pierce a target or stick into it as well as a double grind. The Norseman & French where the masters on throwing axes, In Europe anyway.

Nice work, and I do like the looks. Your knives are looking great!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

ask me what my knives weigh :p

some told me weight plays a factor in selling a knife, so i weighed most of them
(in Oz)

PhotoGrid_1357318320373.jpg

Just read thru the thread, Very nice work SHOKR, I really like the light colored handled one. How long have you been at it? (making knives) Vey impressive.

thanls a lot ricky

i finished my first knife few months ago. but i 'started' 3-4 years ago or something, read A LOT, kept starting, messing up, then stopping. thought i didnt have the 'right' tools, then learned i dont need fancy stuff to start, thats when it took off :D

thanks Scott!

havent looked yet, i know of a few but dont know their appropriate use. when im done with current two knives i will either ask a friend who runs his father's wood workshop or the guy who does the finish on my parent's stuff, his sole craft is putting finish on wood!

Scalple. Something bit different for fun. Was hell to sharpen because its too thin. 4.7mm O1, left at 'heat treat finish', hollow chisel grind. Aprox. 19cm OAL! 7.5cm edge. Will think of lanyard for it. Suggestions?

still not happy with sharpening though

20130117_224517-1.jpg

Looks great SHOKR. I have been thinking of ways to use all of the scraps laying around and have been contemplating making something like that, and also little PSK's to fit in an altoids tin.

Keep posting your progress. They get better and better.

Steven Long:236270 said:
Looks great SHOKR. I have been thinking of ways to use all of the scraps laying around and have been contemplating making something like that, and also little PSK's to fit in an altoids tin.

Keep posting your progress. They get better and better.

Thank you sir!

I have lots of these designs, that was simple one for testing, its really cool to make, take care of over heating tho, i over heated this ones and had to regrind again starting from 220 back to 600 with bit of profiling

PSK's?

PSK - Personal Survival Knife... Small (2"-5") knife with no handle, made to be used in case of emergencies while out in the woods.

Back