My latest one

keithlen

Hey all I just peened this one. Got to do the scabbard yet. Old sawmill blade, wrought and elk antler. That old steel is tough!

Picture 200.jpgPicture 201.jpgPicture 202.jpg

Keith,
Nice, I really like this. You keep coming up with new, for you, designs and do a very nice job on them. :thumbup1: Wade

Thanks guys, it's 14.5" o.a.l. with a 9.5" blade. Wade, I have to keep trying new things to keep it interesting and I enjoy trying different ways to accomplish the end result. Hope that makes sense I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet. I think I will stick with the 17th and 18th century styles for a while though. Keith

Looks great! I really love the notch style on this. It changes the overall impression of the knife dramatically

Knife looks great!!
Wonderful, clean work.

Brad, the notch in the blade is called a "Spanish Notch" and the purpose was to catch your opponents blade in a knife fight and either break his blade or wrestle it from his grip. On some fighters, such as the Loveless SubHilt there are raised lugs at the ends of the guards, these are to keep your foes blade from riding up your blade and glancing off the guard and across your knuckles. This Spanish notch is absolutely historically correct for this type of knife and I commend Kiethlen for using and sharing it.

....of course the best weapon to take to a knife fight is still a 1911. IMHO.

Steven

I knew something like this style was called a "spanish notch", but I'm not very knowledgeable on these, and did not want to mis-speak. Thanks for the clarification and little history lesson. :)

Can't argue with a 1911 either.

A very intersting design, and follow through. I like the overall appeal of this one...though I could begin to classify it. I like it. Good job!

Thanks for the nice words guys. Van, I have some old growth oak that I was thinking about. Been wanting to try a wooden scabbard.

Back