My micarta changed color to tan when I sanded it.

I really hope this isn't a stupid question, but I am in the process of building my first knife with micarta scales. I got a set of 3/8" maroon linen scales and when I was sanding them down, the maroon disappeared in several spots and tan micarta started showing through. What did I do wrong??

Thanks in advance for any advice.
C.W.

my first though is your getting it too hot and burning it. how are you sanding, by hand or under power? if its by power, fresh clean belts and not too fine work good. I slow my belts down to help with the heat issue. all micartas will look powdery when you sand them at first. then as you get to finer and finer grits the color starts to pop back out and at the final buffing it will look great.

Erik

Thanks Erik. I used a 1"x30" belt sander, using 80, 120 and finally 600 grit. I think you are right that I overheated it and the color changed to its natural color in spots. Back to the drawing board!

If it did it in spots you burned it ,to correct hand sand with 120 then work you way down to 600 and buff with Ping no scratch and it will pop to maroon again.
I have used a lot of it over the past 43 years,Maroon Linen is my favorite handle material.

Thanks Erik and Dave. I put a fresh 120 grit belt on and gently sanded the scales. The color returned and I hand & machine sanded down to 600 grit. It is looking a whole lot better!

Thanks guys

One of these days I would like to get a different grinder, but I need to get better in order to justify it. I checked out your knives Dave. Love the Personal Drop Point. You do great work!

Thanks again.

Just my $0.02.........

if you are building a user knife, I'd stop at 220 gr. taking it higher will make it look sleek and glossy, but it will reduce the grip. Get it shaped the way you want it on your sander and then use 220 with a thick piece (.25") firm rubber backer to finish. It will leave you with a really nice appearance and great texture for grip. Also, if you finish by hand you'll never have to worry with scortching your material.

Back