My mini forge build

Gliden07

Here is a pic of the refractory brick mini forge I'm building. It's all welded up now. It's made from all scrap metal I collected over time. The only money spent on it are the 2 refractory bricks that are halfIMG_20170719_45414.jpg ed and will be hole sawed in the middle for the chamber.

Here is a couple pics of the Getting closer Mini Forge! Have to make stand next. Hopefully the burner will work?

Looking good. Hope the burner works out for you.

Thanks Ty! I hope so too, but if it doesn't I'll build another one!! LOL! I'm having fun building it. Worked on the legs a little tonight and designed in a shelf that can pull out to hold longer pieces. Couple more pieces a clean up and paint to make it pretty. I have to get some IRC for the interior and I'm debating on wether I should use some refractory cement to bond the cut bricks together? If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them!

Ok here is the Mini Forge with all the fab work done painted up and stylin!! .
Need to get some IRC coating for the chamber. Wondering if I should get some Furnace cement to stick all the bricks together?? Now all that needs to happen is the burner works??

Attachments

• IMG_20170726_3019.jpg
    IMG_20170726_3019.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20170726_25466.jpg
    IMG_20170726_25466.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170726_5848.jpg
    IMG_20170726_5848.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170726_21826.jpg
    IMG_20170726_21826.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
You did a really nice job making that look nice. Especially cutting the hole. I hope it works as good as it looks. If so - watch out knife blanks!

Well I stuck all the refractory bricks together with Hi Temp furnace cement, rating said it was good for 2700F. Have to order IRC now. Gonna let the cement dry for the weekend and hopefully fire it Monday quick to help dry cement and see if the burner will work in forge?? Fingers crossed!!

So I lined the forge with the IRC. Night and day differene there is still a hot spot cross from the burner, from what I've read this is almost impossible to remedy it is a trait that an atmospheric burner has. But the forge now has an almost even Orange glow front to back (about the first 1/2" or so in front looks cooler, I'm sure this is due to the open chamber constantly cooling that area?). I heated a 3/4" cold chisel in the moderately heated forge about 2-3 min to a bright Orange color in about 2-3 more min! I have no way to check temp but believe I should come close to Forge welding temp with this setup? This was a fun and relitivly cheap project. All toll with the little bits I had to buy I am into the forge without regulator for $50-60 and that is lined with the Metrocote from Wayne Coe including the shipping. I had all the steel from scrounging and the Regulator, if I include the regulator no more than $80. It was a fun project.

Back