My new grinder wip

mikereineman

Hi guys,

Here is my grinder wip, I am brand new to Knife making , so I decided to make my grinder, inspired by the Wilmont EERF, Tag 101 and the EPG grinders.
Its pretty rough still, need to get my two idler wheels, contact wheel, drive wheel, bearings and step pulleys. Some Sanding, filing and paint and she will be ready to roll. And thanks to MR Ingram over at Wilmont for the platen base.

Thanks to all on this site for all the knowledge you share every day, with out you , people like me could never get a true start.

Please, any comments, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• DSCF6307.jpg
    DSCF6307.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF6302.jpg
    DSCF6302.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF6298.jpg
    DSCF6298.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF6296.jpg
    DSCF6296.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF6305.jpg
    DSCF6305.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF6304.jpg
    DSCF6304.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 129
That's is a real nice Grinder WIP ! How much time & money Do you have invested, so far ? I have a Grizzly 2 x 72 right now and dream of making my own knife Griinder. :__sleeping_dog_icon .

Thanks Erratus. Craig, time, not sure, I started it back a couple of months ago, but I am only able to put a few minutes here maybe an hour there right now. I paid $60 for a 24x24 sheet of 5/16 hot roll steel, $130 at the water jet. About $115.63 at Mc Masters for parts, another $20 at home depot for bolts. $ 20 to get the base plate welded to the frame. $30 At Wilmont for the Platen base plate, taped the one I made out of plumb, learning error lol , About $50 for the tooling arm and tool rest steel from a local vendor and $70 for the tracking wheel from Beaumont metal works. So far I have $495.63 invested. I am in the works of trading for some of the other parts so we will see what else i have to buy. I received the motor from a buddy of mine, so that was nice. I had to go out and buy a drill press, vise, bits , taps and some other tools I didn't have but would need eventually anyways once I get grinding. So far its been a really great project, I have learned a lot and I cant wait to make my first blade. This site has made all the difference. Once I get it all together, and its tracking right I am going to disassemble, finish up the metal and paint. I will post pics for that process and the remainder of the build. Thanks for looking guys.

Nice looking grinder! One of the earlier iterations of the GIB has a double tooling slot like that, but to be honest, I mainly use it for sharpie! :)

Jamie

This may not be the right place to say it but I remembered it when I saw how much you spent on bolts at home depot. If you have a Tractor Supply, that's the brand name of the store, you can buy your nuts, bolts and washers by the pound instead of by the piece. Saves a good bit when buying in bulk.

That was a good buy on the steel too!

That will be one solid unit for sure.

Looks like you got a great build going on there. Now belt it up and try it out. If you like as well as I like my KMG clone you'll wonder how you ever done anything before with out it!

thanks for the comments guys, I will post more pics as I get more finished up, looking forward to making my first grinds and putting the ideas in my head into steel.

Back