My new Sweetheart

Hey!!!! What kind was yours??????? I had a parakeet when I was allot younger.:D
She was a Blue Fronted Amazon. A really sweet parrot this one. I never taught her to talk much and she didn't seem all that inclined to learn more than a few words, and I didn't care. She was beautiful to watch and permitted me a lot of intimate hands-on. Parrots in general are pretty timid (cautious) creatures. They bond with you over time and it's amazing how that bond and their trust (in you) grows. Don't violate that in any way. ;) No harsh words or loud voices. These creatures pickup our energy. Very similar to how Ceasar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) works with dogs in that you have to project a firm relaxed loving confidence with them.

Bought her as a baby with clipped wings. When they moulted and grew back, I never clipped her again. She was flighted, had a perch in every room (plus me) to hang out on. and 99% of the time was never locked in the cage. I feed her in the cage and she hung-out in there sometimes, but I never confined her to it. I also never expected her to live only twenty four years.

I hope you gives yours a proper diet. Parrots need a great variety of foods, personal attention (they're very smart), and playtime. (mostly) Smarter than dogs and very different from cats, Make sure you do your homework.

Regards,

perch2.jpg

Last edited:
She was beautiful.2thumbs I leave the top of the cage open when I am in the house. I have the regular pellets, bird feed, unsalted peanuts and the millet in her cage. She doesn't eat fruit, but she does eat lettuce, I give her a piece every morning after I feed my dogs.
Thanks for the advise.:D

Sounds like a good start. Regarding diet (Google "Quaker Parrot" diet; if you haven't already), your Quaker should be getting some fruit (bananas are especially good). Even if she doesn't take it - you have to feed it anyway. They get curious and eventually, over time she'll accept it. There are a number of things they shouldn't be fed - you'll have to read up. No fatty foods for Quakers, but they do need some lean protein occasionally. Cooked chicken, fish, eggs etc. Not a lot, and not all the time but they do need it. Lettuce is a toy, no real nutritional value, it's just a bit of water and something interesting and colorful to chew. Steamed vegetables (carrots) are good, greens too. A really beneficial diet for your bird will certainly pay off in a longer life. Plenty of info out there... just tryin' to help. :) ... Good Luck!

PS - (personally if I had it to do all over again) I wouldn't feed peanuts... yeah I know. peanuts? WTF! why not? - lookup aflatoxins & peanuts (always present in peanuts, but not peanut butter) - I'll try to PM you a link. Peanut butter OTOH is great! A little tiny bit off your finger onto her beak - once she gets a taste, she'll love it! and it's very safe. I know it's good for Amazons, but I'd be careful, small quantities only as it's high in fat. Also no soybeans.

Make sure you have access to a good avian vet, in advance of if or when you'll need them. True avian veterinarians have a higher and more specialized level of training than other vets. You may not even have local access to one and that's OK - but make sure yours has some experience with birds.

Ok - enough out of me.

Back