My own hunter for this deer season...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here in Michigan, our firearm deer season opened yesterday, Nov. 15th. I made a knife for me last year but it made it just past hunting season and someone wanted to buy it. Cash is king, so I sold it. Which left me in need for a hunting knife for this deer season.

This is what I came up with. It's a tad larger than my ideal preferences for a dedicated field dressing knife, but the idea was to make it a little larger to handle a few more camp type chores. I chose 80CrV2 steel for the blade, ground thin for its toughness and edge holding properties and curly koa for the handle. For the rest of the fittings I chose as maintenance free materials as possible.

Last year, I made a guardless hunter. This year I went with a guard....for no other reason than just to do it different this time. I like both.

I killed a decent 7pt buck yesterday morning around 8:15 and shot a nice big doe at 5:00 in the evening. The knife took care of both deer easily with no chips, rolls or flat spots (as I would expect of any quality knife steel) and still shaves hair exactly as it did before I started.

I did forget to take my camera yesterday but I think my dad snapped a few with his phone. I'll check on that. In the mean time, here's the knife.

Specs:
Hand forged from 80CrV2 steel
8 1/2" overall, 4 1/4" blade, .175" thick at the ricasso with full distal taper
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge
Rounded, filed thumb grip
Black g-10 guard and collar, double line cut
Stainless steel thorn and vine spacer
Stabilized Koa handle
Stainless checkered finial screw

Any and all comments/discussion welcome.

That's a beautiful knife. I'm sitting here shaking my head, because I only have one knife for myself of all the knives I've made, and it's a simple wharncliffe utility that I use to make all of my leather sheaths.

Hi John,,,That is a beauty. Love the Koa, and the guard/ collar treatment,,,Very nice.
Have a great thanksgiving. ,,,,Arlo

Yeah, just checked into it.....something down at photobucket. Pics from other threads where I've used them to host photos recently are not showing either.

Back