My very first Slip-Joint and first blade with my maker's mark

BRad704

And this is my first completed knife to be etched with my makers mark. I think I am as excited about this little know, as i was about the very first ever.

3" closed
ATS-34 blade and spring
Brass and buffalo horn handle scales.

slip1.jpgslip2.jpgslip3.jpgslip4.jpg

RBT

Last edited:
I was hoping for some magically Caffery-knowledge of how to etch more cleanly and get nice black lines... :)

But I see understand what he was talking about making sure your knives are easily identifiable based solely on the makers mark. That is one reason I made sure to include all 3 of my initials and the state I am from. I got this mark made in 3 sizes and plan on using it for the duration. Hopefully I will have enough documented on searched-websites (like KD) that anyone searching for "knifemaker RBT tennessee" will find me. :)

I thought long and hard about what to use and of all the ideas I had, this one just sorta hit me the first time I saw it, and I knew that it was the one to use.

Now I am off to edit my first post, and do some Google-fu testing... :D

Thanks guys... I set the initial edge this morning on a fresh 120 slack belt. Then came in the house, started the Bourne Identity when I started sharpening and JUST fininshed, literally during the credits of the movie...

I know the sharpened bevel is high, because I didnt get the edge thin enough after HT. Live and learn and do better next time, right? :)

slip5.jpg

You did a good job man. I just now saw this because I haven't been in this forum in a while. Stay with it. Join the group I have in my profile "slipjoint addicts".

Thanks... and I plan on building more of these in the future. I learned a lot from this and each one should get better and better.

I'll check for that group...

Thanks Dave...

I actually have finished 2 so far... Might as well add those picks to this thread... I'm trying to link these pics from my website, so hopefully it will work...

ATS34, brass and bocote. 3" closed.
2011-07-07%2010.14.38.jpg

2011-06-26%2016.59.08.jpg

2011-06-26%2016.59.55.jpg

I'm not a fan of rear bolsters unless there is another blade back there. Your's have looked fabulous, just not my personal taste (on the rear bolster).

The next few I do will be the same overall shape, but scaled up a bit. I loved working with the buffalo horn and have enough for 1 more slippie.

I don't like the rear bolster simply because two more of them to put on is that much more of a pain, lol. I like you're thinking though..only if there is a blade back there.

I have about four pieces of black buffalo horn, some with a little white in it. I also have two pieces of red dyed. It is kind of a maroon color. I've never used it yet.

The horn on that top slippie (in this thread) is the Honey Brown Dyed from Boss... There are some light streaking patterns in it that I wish I could have displayed more of. Really easy and smooth to grind and polishes well for me. Granted, I have basically zero previous polishing experience, so my benchmark is basically non-existent. :)

I'll be honest, it isn't my first choice for handle material. The reason I have it is because it is cheap to pick up a little. I will use it though, as I'm sure many people like it. Yours looks great :)

Back