Mystery knife

Wheeler

I would like to purchase 5 knives like the one in the attached jpg. I am having great difficulty finding this knife. MysteryKnife.jpg Several people who have looked at this knife said they believed it was a fettling knife, but none had seen a fettling knife with such a short blade. As you know, fettling knife blades can either be flexible or hard. This one is hard, not flexible at all.

I can tell you we have several book repair personnel (I work at the Bob Jones University Library) who love these for scraping glue and old material from book spines. The blade has some sharpness, but it is not razor sharp. For the way our people use these, they prefer the blade only semi-sharp. These were purchased at least 20 years ago, maybe longer, so we know virtually nothing about them. However, countless art, leather, and general knife sites I have searched do not have a knife like this. Can you supply something like this? Or do you know a source of a knife like this?

http://www.jsmacklibrary.info/files/MysteryKnife.jpg

Dimensions:
overall length: 5.5 in.
blade length: 2.5 in.
handle length: 3 in.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Weaver Leather has a knife similar to yours. It's called a "Bevel point shoe & leather knife." The blade measures 3/4" x 2 3/4"

Back