Mystery Wood - Need some help identify it.

SC_Knives

Hey guys - Was digging through the shop and found some blocks of mystery wood. I'll post some pictures of the blocks in question.

DSCF6681.jpgDSCF6683.jpgDSCF6686.jpg

Any ideas about what it is?

There appears to be burn marks in both woods. Caused by several factors, but most commonly by a dull blade, improper/inconsistent feed rate, or both.
Some woods will be more subjective to this than others.
If you think they're both domestic hardwoods, cherry and maple suffer the burn marks the most easily in my experience.
Then again, as always, it could be anything, so definitely don't take my word for it. Just a lead to maybe help narrow it down. My vision gets worse every day!

The burn marks are more from a dull blade/feed rate like you said than the hardness of the wood. The darker wood is extremely dense and works like Ironwood. Thought I had a lead on the yellow/brown piece but no luck.

Well my first guess would be iron wood with sap wood , I have some like that and it is the lowest grade of ironwood . It makes nice handles but I would dye it when it is over whelming .

Both the second and third pic remind me of Apple or Cherry heartwood.
In the late 70's, I use to help a freind 'trim' up his 12 acre orchard. I didn't think about handle material then but they both make a steak taste great on the barbi.

Rudy

Back