Need 416SS (small amount) ASAP.

J S Machine

I'm doing a charity knife for St. Jude, see the WIP section of the forum for the WIP thread. I have some 440C stainless, but I really need some 416 stainless. A piece about 5" long and 1/2" x 1/2" square would be perfect. I can cut the main guard and sub hilt form this. I also need some 416 pin material for it. maybe 3/32 or 1/8 would be fine. I guess I would need about 5" of that as well. Also, I will need some pieces for the bolsters on the end of the handle. I think I will need a piece about 3" long by 1.5" wide, and about .25" thick or thicker. I can cut this in two and get two 1.5" x 1.5" pieces - one for each side.

I would really appreciate any help on this. I'm on a time frame and don't know where to get the stuff especially in this small of an amount. I have some blade steel and handle materials too I would be glad to trade or I can purchase as long as it's not too expensive.

Thanks!

John,

I've got a piece of 3/8 x 3/4 . If the 3/8" dimension is wide enough for your guard it would work.

Also have 1 1/2 x 1/4 flat bar for those back bolsters and matching 1/8" pinstock.

If you can't find something bigger I can mail out anytime.

If you only need the flat bar and pinstock no problem either.

Tough to find 416 in thick stock like that unless it's round bar :(

-Josh

Josh I think I have this simplified. That piece you have that is 3/8 x 3/4 will work. If you have a 5" length of it, I can get what I need out of that. Also, the 1 1/2 x 1/4 flat bar will work too, if you can spare about 3" length of it.

I did not realize that I could get the width I needed out of the 3/4" wide part of the first 3/8 x 3/4 bar you are talking about. I'm guessing i might need about 6" of the pin stock. Let me know what I owe you brother..life saver!

No sweat.

I've been wanting some 416 thick stock myself for hidden tang guards so I just ordered 2 slices of 3" round 1" thick off flea bay.

I'd be happy to make you custom pieces to your spec. as soon as it gets here.

If you arrange the 3/4" to get your guard shape the 3/8 is an awful thin guard IMHO.

What's your time frame for having material in hand ?

-Josh

Back