Need a little help with a very cool project...

Chris Railey

In the coming weeks I will be making a cane sword. Really cool project and I have everything laid out in my mind EXCEPT how the top of the handle will attach to the cane/sheath part so it will function as a proper cane. I thought about recessing strong magnets in both pieces to make the connection but I would rather have a decent mechanical connection. Has anyone else made one of these and perhaps has a solution? Even if you have not made one can you think of a solution obtainable without the use of a mill or lathe...neither of which I have. I do have access to a pipe threader and to someone who knows how to use it so maybe I can go that route?

Last edited:
That is a very simple solution, for me the hardest part will be getting it to line up correctly. I will work on that, thanks. You know, if I made that out of high carbon steel I could temper it to be a spring the button would just bend it a little to let it release. Wheels are now turning.

Last edited:
Google search gives a bunch of alternatives. A screwed connection would likely give a solid joint.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-160501_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-160501_Firefox.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 7
I saw a lot of that stuff but its mostly the connection with the end of the cane and the tip that touches the ground. I need to connect the sword/cane handle to the cane body/scabbard. I do agree though that threads are more solid. I would have to figure out maybe 1/2 a rotation or at most 3/4 to release the sword. More than that I think would be cumbersome.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Finding some kind of a twist lock style connector may work well. Perhaps a pool cue connection?
Good luck on your search.

I saw a lot of that stuff but its mostly the connection with the end of the cane and the tip that touches the ground. I need to connect the sword/cane handle to the cane body/scabbard. I do agree though that threads are more solid. I would have to figure out maybe 1/2 a rotation or at most 3/4 to release the sword. More than that I think would be cumbersome.
The few sword canes I've handled (like 2) had a twist to release the head from the scabbard. As I recall it felt less than a 1/2 rotation. More like a third.
It was quite a while ago, so I could be wrong on the rotation amount, but it was definitely a twist motion.

If you haven't already, check out Alec Steele's cane sword.
I did watch part of it...In the beginning Alec Steele had really good actual instructional videos, I am afraid most of his stuff now falls into the entertainment and advertising realm more so than the instructional realm. Its a shame because he really is a fairly good teacher I learned how to forge a reverse taper by reading a PDF book he put out years ago.. I am not down on him do not get me wrong, he is very talented at blacksmithing and business, I just liked the videos more when they taught stuff.

It would be considered a concealed weapon, in Florida it's legal with a permit. and Florida has reciprocity with Georgia and a lot of other states.
it would be no differant than carrying a gun in Fl. I know of one knifemaker here in Fl. that's been walking with one for years.

The only things I can think of that I cannot build without government involvement would be explosives, a “machine gun” or a silencer/suppressor as defined by the ATF. There are legal ways to do those things too but I have no interest in building those things so I am good.

Back