Need advice on purchases

JawJacker

Im ready to pull the trigger on TW90 and a paragon oven 24D. My question is, I keep telling myself I need the surface grinder attachment for the TW. Do I really need it? I'm a noob 5 knives in, but I got the fever. Am I wasting money or should I wait ? This hobby is adding up fast. Thanks

The TW90 is the next grinder I will own. I current have 3 different 2 x 72" machines.

I personally will get the TW90 grinder and then add in that cool surface grinder a bit down the road.

There are several other machines you may want? like a decent drill press, A horizontal disk grinder, A metal cutting band saw. A wood cutting Band saw. A buffer etc...............

The TW-90 looks like a excellent purchase to build your shop around and if you buy belt ground steel you can hold off a while longer on the surface grinder. Unless you are jumping into making Damascus too?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
My next grinder purchase also. I will be getting the surface attachment since I mainly forge my blades and need to square them up. It's a small part of why I am choosing it. Try and use a TW90 before you buy it and you'll just pull the trigger sooner. If you are not forging you can wait on that option and your money will be better spent on getting some of the other tools you will need.

George

Well, I've been making liner locks for almost 20 years I don't have a surface grinder or a milling machine. I sure wish I had one way back. Frank

I own a TW90 and absolutely love it! I have looked at the surface grinding attachment but haven't made the purchase yet although it is on my priority list of future purchases. I would definitely recommend a disc grinder if you don't already have one.

Ok, thanks but......you guys are not making it easy,jeeeez hehe I may just get the grinder att. and be done with it. I have a drill press, disc grinder and 2x42 grinder, band saw and some more small metal working tools. This is a hobby for me right now. I retire in 4 years and I think this is what I want to do full time when I get there. I'm having a good time with it. Thanks again for the advice.
My shop is only 16X24 so the SG att would save room also.

This is my opinion only so TIFWIW

I have no experience with the TW90 but would recommend some consideration on the SG attachment.

How much does it cost ? Will it give the SAME results as an actual surface grinder.

A true hobby maker may not mind performing ALL their operations on a single machine. That said though a very real amount of time is spent fiddling with the machine instead of being productive. I run into this with my KMG and all my attachments and it annoys me quite a bit. The versatility is awesome but in practice it's a significant time killer.

Folks seem to LOVE their tw90's but I would cost out the price of -

Variable speed KMG package + Beamont horizontal grinder + $1000 budget for the purchase of an actual Surface Grinder.

All that versus the tw90 with equal features.

5 knives in you've got some hands on experience in front of you and you'll get by just fine without a surface grinder for quite awhile IMHO.

Another consideration is space limitations in your shop. Given more shop space I would make changes to my tool set-up to increase my productivity.

It's great to have versatility in a small footprint but FAR better to have more machines that perform specific tasks.

-Josh

How much does it cost ? Will it give the SAME results as an actual surface grinder. $1500, they say its very accurate.

It's great to have versatility in a small footprint but FAR better to have more machines that perform specific tasks.
I respect that point. If these knives were feeding me I would go for more machines for specific tasks your right but right now its a hobby. If I could make a knife a week I'll be happy Thanks for your input Josh

5 knives in you've got some hands on experience in front of you and you'll get by just fine without a surface grinder for quite awhile IMHO.

Thats what I was prepared to hear.I was just thinking it would be worth the time it saves to get one. Im still undecided, but thanks everyone for the input.

I often read here of purchases of used surface grinders with costs under $1000 . I believe Josh's point a specialty machine for a separate type of job is the best way to go. Frank

Just my own experience, but I just bought a used Reid 618p surface grinder for about 400 bucks.

If I include the VFD I already had, and a couple of minor odds and ends (new belts, wheels, wheel hub, etc...) I've got about $600 to $650 wrapped up in the machine. I has power feeds, so I can literally chuck a part up, set me wheel height, and walk away. I often grind knives on my NWGS while my SG is running.

If I really wanted to convert it to belts, I could probably do so for about $150 to $200 bucks. All and all, that's about half of what the TW-90 SG attachment costs, and I get a dedicated machine.

Back