need critique

yeah, it does seem to be slow. but at my age slow is regular (and quiet and not dusty!) And seeing how much I enjoy the journey , if I gotta go back and do it till it's right ,so be it. it's winter and all the farm chores are caught up so I have plenty of time!
You can make GREAT KNIVES with that setup! Good way to kill the Winter!! Enjoy!!

Bruce, do you not have a grinder? I think i remember you saying that.

The reason grinds go higher is for better slicing efficiency.

Its a catch 22 for you if you're hand filing your bevels.

Nope I don't.
But I'm happy to do it with files. Really!
My mistakes are so much slower. My injuries are so much less ! And I still have all my fingertips !
so if I understand you correctly, a flat grind from edge to spine would be the most efficient shape, right?

Nope I don't.
But I'm happy to do it with files. Really!
My mistakes are so much slower. My injuries are so much less ! And I still have all my fingertips !
so if I understand you correctly, a flat grind from edge to spine would be the most efficient shape, right?

Yes. All else being equal, the higher the grind, the better the slicing efficiency.

Your mods look great - but, I particularly like that wicked looking blade shape. Coming along nicely!

Thanks for the help guys. Lord knows, I need it ! Gonna keep working on this one. Maybe it won't end up in " the box".!

Like where your headed. Grind line looks better to me for sure. If you climb it more to where the plunge ends at about the top of your Pin hole for the scale you will actually grind/file some Distal taper into the blade.But I know from doing it that's a weeks worth of filing and 2 Sharpies! LOL! Looking good!

One observation and it’s most likely a personal preference. Have you thought about drilling more holes in the tang?
I typically (but not always) drill holes in the tang. It lightens the blade as well as creating an epoxy bridge if that makes sense. I’ve been trying on most of my knives to create a balance point just behind the ricasso. It doesn’t always work out but it does tend to help especially in longer hefty blades.

One observation and it’s most likely a personal preference. Have you thought about drilling more holes in the tang?
I typically (but not always) drill holes in the tang. It lightens the blade as well as creating an epoxy bridge if that makes sense. I’ve been trying on most of my knives to create a balance point just behind the ricasso. It doesn’t always work out but it does tend to help especially in longer hefty blades.
yes OPaul. I have and usually do. I'm still working on design right now . Mechanics will come next. This knife is a series of experiments to see all the aspects in play to learn how much one affects another. I'm ALWAYS learning!

Back