Need help first time with wood.

Grussing_Custom_Knives

So im gonna start this off saying I only used g10 and carbon fiber (micarta once) and im making a hunting knife using some desert iron wood burl i got from usa knife makers. I talked to tracy at the hammer in and got alot of helpful tips. I just wanted to post here and see if anyone has any other little tips for a guy working with wood for the first time.
Thanks!https://vimeo.com/180501940

Use fresh belts, ironwood burns with dull belts, fill any tiny cracks or fissures with ca. when - if you put it to a buffer, go lightly or you can get an orange peel effect in some spots.
That's a nice piece of ironwood you have there, it should come out beautiful, I'll say this, it won't be as nasty as working with G10 or carbon fiber, that's for sure.

Use fresh belts, ironwood burns with dull belts, fill any tiny cracks or fissures with ca. when - if you put it to a buffer, go lightly or you can get an orange peel effect in some spots.
That's a nice piece of ironwood you have there, it should come out beautiful, I'll say this, it won't be as nasty as working with G10 or carbon fiber, that's for sure.

Lol yea... For the little holes that are there after i shape and contor the handle i will fill it with gap filling super glue and sand over the handle (when super glue is still wet) so the dust mixes with the glue and u cant tell the hole was there (one of tracys neat tips)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back