Need help on hidden tang knife

K

Knife Nut

I have never made a hidden tang knife, so I need help if you all don`t mind.

The blade has a rod for the tang. Should I just drill tight and affix the end with a pommel using Blue Locktite, or should I epoxy down the rod . I have polyurethane glue as well as super glue and also regular epoxy.I will be using a round from elk antler.

What is the best way to attach the guard ( made of Nickle Silver ). I really don`t want to solder it, for I know even less about that process.

I would appreciate any help on this. I usually use scales ( obviously not hidden tang )without bolsters unless the bolsters are made of wood or reconstituted stone.

Thanks

I usually attach the guard with epoxy or jb weld, prior to gluing up the handle. I want the guard fitted tight, so it doesn't show a glue gap.

Use the pommel ( or a nut) to hold it all together for shaping and polishing. When you've got it 100% how you want it, take it apart and then glue it all together with epoxy.

To attach guards I use a $15 butane torch and flux-solder from Midwest KM. Heat guard from underside till flux bubbles and feed solder to top (blade side) of guard. Clean up with small brass chisel. I have had good success doing this way from first try.

To attach guards I use a $15 butane torch and flux-solder from Midwest KM. Heat guard from underside till flux bubbles and feed solder to top (blade side) of guard. Clean up with small brass chisel. I have had good success doing this way from first try.

+1
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Back