need help with instaling a detent ball

lerman

hello,
i'm in the process of installing detent balls on my friction folders, both for open and closed position, i milled a small spring bar into one of the liners and set a 1.5mm ball in it, so far so good, but in all my tests i can't seem to get the positin of the holes the blade in the right place, it's either too far and the ball doesn't catch or it's to farr in and then the blade has some play.

any tips?

thanks

Do it on purpose.

Do not try and get the holes to actually line up on center.

.005 - .010" misalignment is likely in your benefit.

In open position, you want to be hitting your stop pin before the ball drops all the way in the hole.

Same in the closed position.

thanks Brian, that's what i'm trying to do, i undarstand that if the ball drops down all the way it's not forcing the blade against the stop pin hence not doing its job.
i dye the blade with dykem and let the ball mark it's path in it and here is my problem: i try drilling the hole 0.1mm from the end of the scribed line,
is there a more accurate way to do that?

I have never been able to get the detent right by trying to measure and drill an offset hole. I have been successful by drilling thru the lock bar and into the blade while applying pressure with the blade against the stop pin while drilling the hole. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Back