Need help with using dc motor in homemade grinder

Qwagmyre

Greetings,
I decided to finally get going on making my first grinder. After reading a lot of articles and post on the net, I decided to go with using a treadmill motor. It has been sitting there waiting for me and now that I thought I was ready for it, I realize it is a 90v, 2.25hp DC motor, not a plug and use 115v motor.
The question is do I look for an AC motor or is there a way to us this motor.
I am trying to do this project as economically as possible so my wife does not kill me.
Please help!

YES!
You need a variable speed controller rated for that motor. I trust it's a 56C TEFC housing?
If you look in the Supplier Forums one or two of them sell motors & such. Give them the info and they can help you or know where to send you for help.

Good Luck on this project.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

If I'm not mistaken ( and I could be ), I do not believe that your average treadmill motor is TEFC, meaning that unless you keep it cleaned out very well and regularly, things like moisture and metal shavings/dust are likley to contribute to its early demise.

You may be better off searching for a AC motor.

Andrew gave you the information about metal grit shorting out the motor and ruining it.
If you have the motor from the treadmill did you save the controler from the treadmill? If so you could use it until the motor dies. Other wise so a google search for salvage houses. They sometimes have controlers. Don't spend a lot of money for a controler because the motor may not last very long.

I'll be damned if you were not right, took the flywheel off today and the flywheel had a fan built into it.
Talked to a good friend of mine in town today and he told me of a little mom n pop shop that rebuilds and sells motors, says they are very friendly an knowledgeable.
Will go and have a talk with them Monday.
Thank you for the help, you guys are going to be hearing a lot from me in the future, I can just feel it.:biggrin:

Back