Need some help drilling damascus

Iagent

I have been searching the forum for answers, and had some luck, but not quite exactly what I can easily do

Anyway, I have damascus tangs that have holes that are too small for my plans. The holes are 7/64, and I want them to be 1/4 in order to use my decorative mosaic pins. My first knife already had 1/4 holes. I tried drilling at low speeds using my drill press, and the process came to a halt, just after partial drilling. I used up a couple of cobalt bits to no avail, and realize that I need to anneal. Question is, what home remedy can be used for annealing. Map gas torch? Propane torch? Slow cool? Drill when hot? I am very new to this type of metal working, and need some guidence.
Below are pics of the blades.
Thanks in advance!

drilling.jpg

Below is my first knife handle.
Myfirstknife----.jpg

No need to anneal... just grab some carbide tipped masonry bits from your local hardware and drill the holes. Make sure to use cutting fluid and don't go too fast.

Keep in mide that a 1/4" masonry bit is probably going to make the hole slightly larger than 1/4", but as long as you drill your handles with more precise bit, you'll be ok.

No need to anneal... just grab some carbide tipped masonry bits from your local hardware and drill the holes. Make sure to use cutting fluid and don't go too fast.

Keep in mide that a 1/4" masonry bit is probably going to make the hole slightly larger than 1/4", but as long as you drill your handles with more precise bit, you'll be ok.

Thank you very much.
A $2.59 carbide masonary bit did the job.
Thanks again.

Sound advice. Bosch work well

The drilling worked well, but I will try the bosch ones next time, and go slower, because the bit is shot

Bladethree.jpg

Back