Need some help....???

martinjj

I am having a hard time stamping a border on my first sheath. I got the basket weave down it is when I pick up my camouflage z-c431 it starts to go down hill. Let me back up a bit... I carve a line all the way around than find my center line than lightly mark with my compass and start the basket weave. I take the basket weave all the way to my carved line than grab c431 and try to go around and I am thinking maybe I should not have carved a line? Well I hope the pic helps,boy this thing is ugly!

Martin

002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

I'm no expert but when I get close to border edge I tip the basket stamp slightly away from line so it marks only to within 1/8" of border, leaving a little space for the camo stamp. There is a good tutorial on this on the Tandy leather site on this. What you have looks good and will make a nice sheath.

I agree with Ausbrooks , leaving 1/8 and then following it up with a camo stamp of somsort . I'd leave the line and work the camo right up against it . You'll see how the line and the basket weave will all come together when you meet the two together with the camo / bordering stamp.

My two sence .

Im going try it again and see how it go's. Going to try and slow down a bit when I get to the camo tool. I have alot of marks that go past the craved line, When I place the stamp on the line it seems some push though the caved line. I tend to expect to much perfection sometimes and need to tell myself to slow down and learn!!!!
Thanks Dogs!!

Martin

Martin,

Agree totally with these guys.

I'd add that I disagree with your assesment of the camo tool's marks. They appear to follow your cut line to very near perfection !!! Which is great for your stamping skill. To my eye what's throwing off the border a little is the wavvy cut line and the borderstamp following that waviness.

I think slowing down on cutting out your pattern in the leather and being sure to use a SHARP blade for the cut will cure any border ills. If need be you can "rough cut" your leather a touch oversize with a knife and grind it to perfection with an 80x belt to get your straights straight and curves curved without any flat spots.

I do that then wet the leather and use my edge groover to make the guide line for the border. I run the groover VERY lightly backwards so it doesn't groove at all, just leaves a slight guide line for stamping. I find this method much better than cutting or grooving for a border.

Hope this helps !

FWIW I think you've done MUCH better here than your giving yourself credit for.

Take care- Josh

Thanks Josh. I like your idea on using the edge groover instead of cutting/carving the border line. What about carving the line than using the edge groover on top of that?

As far as the wavy-ness I agree! I am using my compass and using the outside edge as a guide. I will try and clean the shape up before I scribe the line.

Thanks again guys, this has been driving me crazy!!

Martin

Back