Nelsonite results

calharkins

Well, I tried the nelsonite as a wood stabilizer and was not pleased. I have not been able to get the smell out of the wood. I put the wood in a toaster oven and heated it but it didn't help much if any.

Just wanted to tell my results so that others may learn from my mistake.

It takes several weeks for the wood to loose the chemical smell of Nelsonite. I think that boiled linseed oil cures more quickly and cost on heck of a lot less.

Doug Lester

I have some pieces i have had for almost a year and have been sitting out in my garage and if I grind off a little material the smell comes back. I don't like the stuff at all.

I believe Nelsonite is not designed to hard cure, but I'm familiar with some examples of folks that are satisfied with how it performs as a stabilizer. The insides always seem to be slightly uncured, but I'd consider just mounting up a few handles if I forked out for the stuff. I think the smell is naptha, so I wouldn't let it dry indoors or apply too much heat.

Take care, Craig

Ive tried nesonite a few times and didnt like the results.
On mine, the wood (maple) would still absorb water. Not what Im looking for. Has anyone tried the Resinol 90C?

God Bless
Mike

all stabilized wood that I have seen (including the K&G and WSSI treated) will take up water when soaked and then weep it out for hours (days) afterward. Some woods seal (stabilize) better than others.

Well I saw something at Tackle Underground that might possibly work. They guys carving crankbaits from wood use this to seal their baits. They take clear plastic cups and dissolve it in acetone. Anyone ever heard of this being used to stabilize wood?

Back