New Chefs knife

Gliden07

New one on the bench. Gonna do a no plunge chef knife. I may have already messed up a d made the tang a little thin? I'm hoping it will be ok. Thinking it should, no one should be hammering this thru cord wood!! Next up is heat treat. Have to get a deeper oil tank to quench it though my current setup is to shallow.20190630_192038-2268x3024.jpg

Its 3/32" O1.

I got a piece of 6" dia tube about 2' long from a scrap metal yard. Welded a bottom on it. I could see some little pin holes so I filled them with JB Weld. That was years ago and it has not lost a drop. My welding #@$%*. :D Thank God for JB Weld!!

I have a friend that owns a muffler shop may go and see if he'll help me out. With all those crazy kids and Diesel trucks I should be able to get a drop 5" diameter minimum at 4" just have to get a case

Looks great! That’s going to be a real performer based on the shape. Don’t worry about being too thin. Thin is the ticket on a chef knife. All the tang does is hold the handle on, and all the handle does is steer the blade and act as a counterweight.

If somebody is putting any amount of force on a chef’s knife then something is wrong. The edge should fail long before the tang is in any danger whatsoever.

Back