New Flipper Design in SolidWorks

J S Machine

I started trying to learn SolidWorks a few month ago I guess, and did a pretty good sized tutorial book to begin with. I worked my way through the book quickly, but still had alot of learning to do. Thanks to the help of an engineering forum, I worked out some kinks. I only posted a few threads there, but gained a considerable amount of knowledge from them. There were just a few things I had hang-ups on and could not get.

After a good two or three weeks from the first sketch on this, I have finally gotten it 99% done. There will be some small tweaks and changes, but nothing major. This is a design for for a customer of mine. He approached me on building one to his specs, and this is pretty much what I came up with. He requested a titanium framelock with carbon fiber handle scale and titanium bolster, and CTS-XHP blade steel (Carpenter steel).

Here are some screenshots of the Solidworks Model:

newtac6.jpg

newtac7.jpg

newtac8.jpg

newtac9.jpg

newtac10.jpg

Looking forward to building this thing; or several of them. I haven't done much work with titanium, so it will be interesting. Learning SW throughout this process is alot of fun. The things I can do with it are simply amazing; it is a great 3D CAD program. I can't believe I haven't tried to learn it sooner. The capabilities are unreal. I can easily see fit problems, interference issues, and just the little things like how the overall parts will look.

So far, I have picked up some lightning strike carbon fiber to do the handle with on the actual knife. It looks way better than the renderings above depict. For some reason I can't see how to adjust the grain size of the fibers. I don't know if it is possible either. The fibers will be much bigger in real life, of course.

The knife will also have roller bearings in the pivot because it is a flipper type design. The only reason I did not put those into the actual model above is because I could not find any that I could copy dimensions for. I'll probably have to wait untill I actually get them in my hands before I can reverse engineer them to get the specs and draw a model.

The pocket clip will also probably change. It looks out of place..not sure if I like it's design. Not hard to change it though. Thanks to Ed Caffrey and a few others for the help with understanding the fundamentals of what constitutes a flipper.

You did a good job of modelling this knife. I have used SW for almost all my knife designs and as you did have found it quite useful to find interference problems and just for visualizing an idea. I couldn't tell if you used the sheet metal mode for the liners but if you do you can show the lock in open and closed positions. Good job. Dan

Back