New Guy, SW Pa

Wiredude

Ok, been lurking for a little, picking up bits of info where I can and such...
I've always been the sort that's got a gift for making things, but that kinda comes naturally when your family are farmers, and builders. Actually, my grandfather was a smith, and now I really wish I had tried to learn some of that from him, but past is past, and, as the saying goes, "If I'd known then, what I know now..."
So, anyhow, enough of that ramble...
I'll be honest, I'm one of the people who got bit by the bug by watching Forged in Fire...
But I ain't quite as much of a overzealous kid as was back in the days of my teens n 20s lol, so I've done some research though, watched a bunch of vids online (alot of Caleb White, and Walter Sorrells in particular, though not only them, as well as reading various other info sources.
Anyway, I know its not as easy as they make it look on tv, and I know that most of the people posting these videos have been doing it for years, so they make it look easy too...
Anyway, I wanna try my hand at making a blade or 2, just to see how it goes, see if it's something I enjoy, and have a touch for.
So, my plan is this, I have a pretty good variety of tools already, from working on cars, carpentry, building a motorcycle, and just generally being a tool junkie. I wanna try and do a stock removal blade, probably out of the flat section of a HF flat bar, because, well, i don't think I'm gonna find and tool steel much cheaper than a $3 bar...
My plan is to finish building a charcoal forge out of an old steel car rim I have (still need to rig up the air ducting), anneal the bar, do rough profiling with some combination of sawzall/jigsaw/angle grinder/bench grinder, etc.
For the bevels, etc, I was thinking of picking up HFs little cheap 1x30 sander. I know it's not a great machine, but I'm hoping it's enough to get a start and a feel for things...
So anyhow... sorry for the long ramble...
And thoughts, advice, cautionary tales, or anything else along those lines?
Located a little east of Pittsburgh for whatever that's worth, if there might be someone close, willing to show/teach me some things.

Steve

Welcome from eastern PA. Once you get the first one under your belt you'll no doubt be hooked and discover that the whole world opens up as far as quality and different ideas every time you complete a new project. Lots of cool materials out there to add to each blade that makes the anticipation of each knife even more fun, you just can't wait to see it finished and the ideas that were in your head come to reality. The backround in building and farming is a great advantage to have as well, good luck, post some of your work when you can.

Wayne

Hi Steve where about in SWPA? I'm from Latrobe. Maybe we could learn together
Just right down 30, I'm in Hempfield twp technically, Jeannette zip...
Should definitely at least hook up and trade mistake stories at least...
My biggest issue is time, I usually work 50+ hrs a week, with a 25 mile commute each way, and its 3pm-early morning usually... so trying to find time to do the stuff I need to do can sometimes be a challenge. ..

Just right down 30, I'm in Hempfield twp technically, Jeannette zip...
Should definitely at least hook up and trade mistake stories at least...
My biggest issue is time, I usually work 50+ hrs a week, with a 25 mile commute each way, and its 3pm-early morning usually... so trying to find time to do the stuff I need to do can sometimes be a challenge. ..
Oh I hear ha about time! I work full time, have 5 kids, and a very demanding wife lol. I find time is a luxury lol

Back