New guy

ElementFe

Hi from the Puget Sound islands, north of Seattle.
I've been making knives since 2009 or so, after a decade of blacksmithing for a living (such as it is) I saw Ray Rantanen demonstrate a damascus hunter from start to finish at a smithing conference and got lit up about knives.
Before that I had seen amazing knives at conferences, but mostly saw it as an extension of the SCA and other reenactors' world. Seeing Ray do one in a finite amount of time and hearing him describe his marketing approach made me realize that there's a whole world of folks out there who like and use fine handmade blades.
Starting out by serving the local market is interesting- First, I really like to have customers actually hold a knife that I've made, so they "get" what's different about them. Also, there's a particular satisfaction in finding out what's actually needed, in demand, and supplying that- I can go out to the shop and play all I want, but it's so much more fulfilling to see a happy customer walking off with a tool that they'll treasure and use.
Thanks to all who keep these forums going (I've been a member since '10, but just realized I never did the introduction) especially Tracy- your supply house is my main source.

For the last year and a half, in addition to making cooking knives for the local market, I've pretty much fallen in love with folders- at some point I'll have to decide that they're "good enough" for other makers to see, and to offer for sale on forums....haven't gotten my courage up for that one yet, even though I've sold dozens locally.

Thanks for all the great info and community!

Andy Gladish
Guemes Island, WA

Last edited:
welcome again. kitchen knives seem to be more in demand nowadays. it seems the purer faith to make a knife that is going to be used every day. welcome again

Back