New HT Oven Being Delivered Today!

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
I've been waiting for months on a new HT oven. I had initially ordered an Evenheat in early August, but they kept pushing my delivery date. Last update was early next year. So, I cancelled the order with them and purchased a Paragon. Their delivery time was advertised as 6 weeks and they are two days early!

The model I ended up with is the Paragon 24T Double Barrel. I got all the upgrades at a great price since I had waited so long for the Evenheat.

I'll post up some pictures when it arrives! I'm super excited to get this thing up and running!

It has arrived! And it is a Beast! I didn't picture it being this big in my head...

Good news is it looks great no visible shipping issues. Bad news, I'm leaving town for work in the morning and won't be back until late Friday.

I really want to get it set up and check it out, but I have to have a little patience.

20211130_162925.jpg20211130_164138.jpg20211130_164256.jpg

my brother who was setting up to make rifle barrels at the time needed to normalize barrel steel. He passed away shortly after I bought the furnace 6 years ago. I could have put about 24 AR barrels worth in one load....

I guess I should make some swords...? Lol!
Sorry to hear your brother passed. A sword would be cool though...

Look at it this way, you probably won't need to get it up to 2000° very often unless you use high alloy steel and , if you do use high alloy steel, then you won't be able to work without it. Anyway, enjoy the heck out of it.

Doug

Heat treating my first knives today! It takes my oven 20 minutes to reach 1000° F and 1:15 to reach 1950° F.

What really surprises me is how long it takes the oven to cool down. It took hours to cool to 450° F.

Blades were foil wrapped ATS34 and came out super clean! No scale of any kind.

Super-fast quench was done between aluminum plates. Tempering now...

If you start using higher temperature steels like CPM154, which is 1950 degrees, I've found that occasionally the foil will actually weld at some points to the blade and while it can be cleaned up it's a serious headache. I use a lot of CPM154 and had this happen so I've seen it, to prevent it I dust the blades with baby powder and never had it happen again.
That's a nice oven you have there and while ramping to 1950 took over an hour I wouldn't be concerned. I think my evenheat is faster but it's only 14" you have alot of space in there to raise the temp.

Heat treating my first knives today! It takes my oven 20 minutes to reach 1000° F and 1:15 to reach 1950° F.

What really surprises me is how long it takes the oven to cool down. It took hours to cool to 450° F.

Blades were foil wrapped ATS34 and came out super clean! No scale of any kind.

Super-fast quench was done between aluminum plates. Tempering now...
You may have answered this question, but is it connected to 110v or 220v?

I heat treated various blades today and I had a bad surprise when they were done.

I did a Rockwell test with my test machine, and everything came out to 40HRC or less!

I almost panicked, but instead I went in the house and watched a video on how to use
my test machine. Thank goodness I was doing it wrong!

After completing the testing the proper way all my blades were 58 - 62 HRC!

It pays to know your equipment!

Back