New machine...

bladegrinder

After hand stitching leather for over 30 years and occasionally considering buying a machine, I finally did.
my last Bowie sheath took what seemed like forever to hand stitch and left a couple fingers kind of sore, that sheath sealed the deal and the search was on
for a sewing machine. I had some expendable money for the knife shop so I was looking at the Cowboy 3500.

After researching some leather worker forums and talking to some folks I decided to go all out with the Cowboy 4500.
so I picked it up today, off the pallet, unboxed, put together, and stitched up a couple three layer 7oz. pieces of leather. this friggin thing is awesome.
one piece I stitched would have taken me approx. 20 min. to hand stitch, this machine did it in less than 15 seconds. and for someone that never used a machine until today it really looked good.

With some time at this machine I should be able to up my game on sheath and holster making in the near future, probably some belts too.
once I get some good stitching done on some leather I'll post pics.

TZYaNi6.jpg

VcinHT8.jpg

Thanks CD, I don't plan on doing any outside work in the near future but I do plan on getting proficient with this machine and start making holsters and maybe some belts.
I had someone ask me to make a holster for them years back. I was probably 16 or 17. It was one of my buddies - they had just bought a 9mm carry gun. I ended up wrapping the gun up in plastic and forming the leather around the gun for that nice "click" fit.

How does one go about making holster for a gun they don't own? I guess you either have to have the customers firearm on hand or buy a "dummy gun"/blank/buck to form the leather with... right? Or am I missing something?

Edit; I'd be concerned with using the actual gun for a few reasons... all of them having to do with liability, of course. Not sure what kind of insurance policy you'd need for that... I guess as long as the firearm is locked up in a safe or similar, they'd cover it. I'd also be afraid of the gun rusting while in my care... I dunno. That risk is part of the game, I suppose.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had someone ask me to make a holster for them years back. I was probably 16 or 17. It was one of my buddies - they had just bought a 9mm carry gun. I ended up wrapping the gun up in plastic and forming the leather around the gun for that nice "click" fit.

How does one go about making holster for a gun they don't own? I guess you either have to have the customers firearm on hand or buy a "dummy gun"/blank/buck to form the leather with... right? Or am I missing something?

Edit; I'd be concerned with using the actual gun for a few reasons... all of them having to do with liability, of course. Not sure what kind of insurance policy you'd need for that... I guess as long as the firearm is locked up in a safe or similar, they'd cover it. I'd also be afraid of the gun rusting while in my care... I dunno. That risk is part of the game, I suppose.

I'm looking for a sheath for a Bowie knife and I would ship the knife or at least an aluminum replica of the blade minus handle...

I just posted this in "whats going on in your shop" then I figured this is really where I should have put it...oops...

I've been practicing on my new sewing machine on all sorts of scrap leather glued up. I'm really liking this thing and learning all different ways it can be set up in regards to speed, stitch length and other stuff. I should be doing some sheaths next week.
I figured since the machine has a hour or so on it now I'd run this thru. it's seven layers of seven ounce leather, this machine went thru it like it was two layers, I couldn't tell any difference. it just stitched it like a hot needle thru butter. :D
wvv6wiH.jpg

I just posted this in "whats going on in your shop" then I figured this is really where I should have put it...oops...

I've been practicing on my new sewing machine on all sorts of scrap leather glued up. I'm really liking this thing and learning all different ways it can be set up in regards to speed, stitch length and other stuff. I should be doing some sheaths next week.
I figured since the machine has a hour or so on it now I'd run this thru. it's seven layers of seven ounce leather, this machine went thru it like it was two layers, I couldn't tell any difference. it just stitched it like a hot needle thru butter. :D
wvv6wiH.jpg

That's incredible! Great Machine!

That looks like it could be 3/4" thick? IMPRESSIVE!!! What size needle and thread are you using?

Yep, it's 3/4". it can sew thicker but I'm satisfied with that sample there ha ha. I don't plan on sewing at least anything thicker than that. I think I could fit about a full inch under the needle though.
I'm using a #25 needle and 277 thread.

Yep, it's 3/4". it can sew thicker but I'm satisfied with that sample there ha ha. I don't plan on sewing at least anything thicker than that. I think I could fit about a full inch under the needle though.
I'm using a #25 needle and 277 thread.
That's awesome!

wvv6wiH.jpg
That’s incredible. Wow!
How well is the stitch pattern repeated on the backside?

That’s incredible. Wow!
That's a good question! I didn't think about that. I'm just impressed it was able to punch through that much material!

Last edited:
That’s incredible. Wow!
The backside looks great to, the stitch is pulled tight just below flush with the leather. When I ordered the machine I told the dealer what leather weights I would normally be using and he preset the tensions and a sample piece of stitched leather came with the machine…still attached to the thread. I think the only time I would have to adjust the tensions is if I stitched very thin leather like wallets but I don’t think I’ll ever go that thin, I also stitched one layer of seven ounce and that came out great too.

Last edited:
The backside looks great to, the stitch is pulled tight just below flush with the leather. When I ordered the machine I told the dealer what leather weights I would normally be using and he preset the tensions and a sample piece of stitched leather came with the machine…still attached to the thread. I think the only time I would have to adjust the tensions is if I stitched very thin leather like wallets but I don’t think I’ll ever go that thin, I also stitched one layer of seven ounce and that came out great too.

I don't know for certain as I'd be able to get a 1/16" drill bit through that much leather without the bit wandering.
That's so very cool your new machine blows right through that depth and repeated change in texture without deflecting.
I hope you get that kind of performance out of it for many years to come, Steve!

I don't know for certain as I'd be able to get a 1/16" drill bit through that much leather without the bit wandering.
That's so very cool your new machine blows right through that depth and repeated change in texture without deflecting.
I hope you get that kind of performance out of it for many years to come, Steve!
exactly this.

Back