New machine...

So after some practice on this machine I did my first sheath yesterday, and my first pancake style, for a small skinner I recently finished. I think it came out ok except for a few small issues, a couple stitches in the top left corner look a little wonky...I need to get better at turning on tight radius's. the verticle stitches aren't close enough to the knife for good retention, so this will be used for a tool in the shop or something. I see now the sheath could be quite a bit smaller for this knife.

And the deal killer is the belt slot cutouts. there's not a 2" oblong punch available on the planet right now so I did hole punches and cut out the slots with a razor, failure! Ha ha... oh well, the next one will be better.
on the bright side, I don't know how long it would have taken me to hand stitch this, a long time for sure. this machine stitched this up in less than two min. and that was crawling so I wouldn't screw up. I think the back side came out ok too for my first. things should get better with more time on this machine.
dMkii6X.jpg

gx4Ah3B.jpg

0i0ci0E.jpg

So after some practice on this machine I did my first sheath yesterday, and my first pancake style, for a small skinner I recently finished. I think it came out ok except for a few small issues, a couple stitches in the top left corner look a little wonky...I need to get better at turning on tight radius's. the verticle stitches aren't close enough to the knife for good retention, so this will be used for a tool in the shop or something. I see now the sheath could be quite a bit smaller for this knife.

And the deal killer is the belt slot cutouts. there's not a 2" oblong punch available on the planet right now so I did hole punches and cut out the slots with a razor, failure! Ha ha... oh well, the next one will be better.
on the bright side, I don't know how long it would have taken me to hand stitch this, a long time for sure. this machine stitched this up in less than two min. and that was crawling so I wouldn't screw up. I think the back side came out ok too for my first. things should get better with more time on this machine.
dMkii6X.jpg

gx4Ah3B.jpg

0i0ci0E.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. I do see the size issue. You'll have it down in no time!

That is a beautiful Gut Hook Skinner too!

I'm working on my first Gut Hook blade and it's not so easy!

I hear you on the non-availability of 2” oblong punches. I’m going to try something similar by using a round punch on each end, but instead of a razor i’m making a 1-3/4” chisel to connect the holes on each side. If I was half a blacksmith I’d make a slot mandrel and wrap steel around it, but I’m not.

Yea I saw that one, I posted a question to the seller…do you think you should be hit over the head and have it taken from you? Amazon didn’t post it, so today I asked them…Are you a scammer? Amazon wouldn’t post that either. I’ve searched every leather supplier on the web. Nobody has them. Springfield does have one, but it looks kind of cheap and made by a kid in his dads garage so I’m going to hold out for a while.

Well, I just ordered the one that was available from Sheffields. it's my third choice but the only one I can find available anywhere short of making one. and I think trying to make a good oblong punch would just lead to frustration so I'll see how this one will work.

Back