New poster

Jerry Bond

Hello all,
My name is Jerry Bond and I cain't type.
However , I can grind a few knives and that is my problem.
Today the boss lady saw one of my knives and ordered 3.
Which is fine and well--then she asked "can you make them rustic looking"? And of course I said yes[dumb ass]
So now I need some help.Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
For yrs I have made by stock removal And have never forged a blade and maybe that is what she is wanting, I don't
know yet. Suppose I need to show her some pictures.
Thanks for putting up with an old fa-- like me
Jerry

if it's a carbon steel (10XX series, 5160/52100, O1, W1/W2) you can get a REALLY good look with cold blue and regular French's mustard.

mix 1/4 cup of mustard with a couple Tbsp of cold blue solution
dab it onto the fully polished blade surface with a cotton ball (pretty randomly)
let it dry overnight
boil in regular old chlorine bleach (OUSIDE, with RESPIRATOR, and CROSS WIND, preferably not blowing towards the neighbor's house)

it will give a great dark patina that is very very tough

Welcome Mr Bond,
several mustard/bleach finishes like that you can use to get a really nice tough finish that adds the AGED look.
Fowler just gave you one of the best ones... as always "Pix or it didnt happen" lol

Thanks guys, I am not a forger but I have all of the stuff [except time] so maybe I could heat the blade to about 1500 and beat up on the flats a little then grind, stabilize then do this number that Steven mentioned. Would that be cheating?--I don't have time to learn to forge before Christmas, because I'm working full time right now.
I just don't want to cheat
Thanks to everyone for your comments, Jerry

Maybe just forge me a distil taper then grind a 3/4 flat grind,then the patina.
Would that be less cheating?

Edit again--I have 40 ft of 1084 in 1/8 x1&1/4 flat bar should work ok for medium hunters

Last edited:
Jerry, Welcome to the pack. I guess I missed ya when you first introduced yourself. As far as cheating goes......as my Drill Sergeant always said, "If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. If you get caight, you weren't tryin hard enough".

I noticed you are from McHenry. You're not but about a stone's throw down 49 from me. I live in Hattiesburg and stationed at Shelby.

Jerry,
In my opinion the only cheating is if you say you did it and someone else did.
Everything else is just intelligent use of resources (or redneck ingenuity, but that usually means it almost worked and nearly killed someone)

Back