New Products for 2016

aldear

Evening guys,

I wanted to make a short post detailing what we have in the works for 2016.

First up is a formula we have developed specifically for hidden tang construction, which will be called "BladeBond HT". It's a VERY thin viscosity aliphatic amine based adhesive that is designed to pour easily and cure quickly. It is 100% water proof, and it's physical properties are very close to that of our Ultra formula. It will be offered in a 6oz. kit, which is used in a convenient 2:1 mix, and unlike Acraglas, our formula gels in 15 minutes, and is tack free in 2 hours. It was formulated this way to speed up production time, yet still offer the benefits and performance of modern amine technology.

Second is a new formula that has been alluded to on a couple of different knife forums, which looks like is going to be called "BladeBond Extreme". Its very similar in its working properties to the Ultra formula, but it has incredible peel strength and service temperature range (-55F - +240F). Most Polyamid based epoxies (BladeBond Ultra, G-Flex etc..) max out service temperature around 170-180 degrees, so the 240 degree temp is a pretty significant increase over just about everything that's currently available to the consumer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Traditionally consumer grade epoxies don't offer these two attributes, because they require some pretty exotic raw materials, and a talented chemist with the know how to put it together. Despite the pleading from several well known makers who ran some beta testing on this formula, I was pretty intent on NOT releasing this formula, simply because I didn't think the market would accept the price point. But judging from the feedback from the makers who have actually tested it and are using it, the response was overwhelmingly positive, and nobody seems to be concerned about the price at all. A couple of the makers that were on the Forged in Fire series are using it as we speak, and say they will never use anything else, so it looks like were going to shoot for a release around February. The Ultra formula retails for $14.00 for a 4oz. kit, and it looks like the Extreme formula will MSRP for about $22.00 for a 4oz. kit. It sounds like a pretty vast difference, but when you break this down on a per application basis, it's like .25 cents more per knife...not much to be concerned about if you need the "extreme" properties. I know some folks are going to scoff at the price on this product, however I make no apologies for the price on this formula...it is one heckuva epoxy.

One other thing we've decided to do is offer Both the Ultra and Edge-15 formula in an 8oz. kit. I have had a ton of requests for larger sizes, so we will make those available in the next few weeks. As a side note the cost per oz. will go down a bit if you purchase the larger size. Not sure how much yet, but you will save some $$ by purchasing the 8oz. kit over the 4oz. kit. And it only makes sense to offer these formulas in the larger sizes, since our technology when stored under the correct conditions has no real shelf life.

Lastly, I wanted to sincerely thank you guys for all the business in 2015....it was a TREMENDOUS first year, and I am really excited to see what 2016 holds. We are working very hard to make sure you guys have access to adhesives that use the finest raw materials and the latest technology. I want you all to know that it really means a lot to me that you guys are willing to give our products a chance.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Very cool Andy, glad its going good. I know I have been happy with the Blade Bond Ultra and sounds like the new formulas you are coming up with will be just as good!
JP

aldear,

This is probably getting ahead of things, but are you going to ever consider going public with your company?
Maybe as a penny stock at first?

Just a thought.

Grizzly Bear

Back