New project

Gliden07

Dont know when I'm gonna work on this but. This was a clever that was giving to me it is in decent shape but the handle was horrible on it and the pins were Lead!! I'm gonna reshape it and put a hidden tang on it, so I can get the handle fixed.

Attachments

• 20190429_155533.jpg
    20190429_155533.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190429_155539.jpg
    20190429_155539.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
As much as I admire all the great forging artistry displayed in this forum, I really like the recycling aspect of this and other similar projects. And yes, that is a weird angle, but it looks like you might be able to get a rat tail hidden tang... good luck!

I guess you are trying to avoid re-doing all the HT, I would. You could throw that sucker in the forge heat it up and move that handle down a little. But then all the HT would have to be done over.

I guess you are trying to avoid re-doing all the HT, I would. You could throw that sucker in the forge heat it up and move that handle down a little. But then all the HT would have to be done over.

Yup...DING, DING, DING!! We will see?? I haven't decided what I'm gonna do totally yet? Have time.

With all this talk about cleavers I started to research the history and design of them. I am actually not getting a great deal of information but came across a gentleman asking about his cleavers and noticed they had the same handle angle. I wonder what the the reason was? IMG_4136.PNG

This is my opinion. These appear to be large cleavers so I would surmise the handle is for clearance above the blade for heavy/cleaving work.

Back