New Shop Tools Question - Surface Grinder and Mill

Johnny Roberts

I've acquired some tools but some is never enough.
I would like to be spending more of my time making slipjoint and tactical folders so I am will be adding the following to my shop or at least something similar.
#1 A Grizzly G5963 - 6" x 12" Surface Grinder w/ Stand
g5963.jpg

Accessories for the surface grinder:
• Magnetic chuck
g6532.jpg

I would love to have a hydraulic feed – can't afford it. Not for a while.

#2 Some kind of lightweight milling machine like the Grizzly G1005Z
g3358.jpg

or GO619
g0619.jpg

Accessories for the mill would include:
• Milling vise 4"
• R-8 Collet Set
• End Mill Set
• Clamping Kit

I want to avoid Harbor Freight if possible. I can spend a bit more for better quality than HF.
I am looking for opinions and recommendations. While I am pretty set on the surface grinder, I am still torn on the mill. I like the idea of a tapping feature and the digital readout but I wonder if 1 HP will be enough. It might be since I am getting things flat on the surface grinder and not with a fly cutter on the mill.

SO CONFUSED - Chasing my tail :bud:

My shop is one half of my garage. I have some nice tables for the grinders but space on the tables is needed. That is why I think the stands are necessary. Also everything in my shop runs on 110.

I don't have a lot of money to spend so I am trying to get the most bang that I can. I am determined to make this happen and I really value the knowledge on this forum so I wanted to ask before I made the call.

I don't need the best and certainly not the most expensive. I just want some tools that will allow me to make some nice slipjoints.

Thanks in advance.
Lonestar JR

I am not very smart when it comes to this kind of equipment, but I have been looking for the same stuff. I have been searching all the used machinery websights and looking for some of the older equipment. Even though some of it was built in the 60's some of the old milling machines and surface grinders are built very well and still have very tight tolerences. I ended up buying a Reid 2-B surface grinder that was made in the early 70's for $450. I still operates very very good. It is 3 phase so I purchased a VFD for $250 to run it. It's tolerences are still very tight and I am happy with it. I bet you could look around the Texas area for used machinery and find some very good equipment for a good price. I have been looking at the grizzly milling machines myself. Good luck with your search.

Back