New to Folders - Slip Joint Template Resource

MTBob

Thanks for this posting, timely and very helpful.
Slipjoints are my next hill to climb.

MTBob

View attachment 77857
I gotta ask, I keep seeing these really cool inlays in handles - if I'm not stepping on someone's trade secret - how the heck do you do that?

I gotta ask, I keep seeing these really cool inlays in handles - if I'm not stepping on someone's trade secret - how the heck do you do that?
The shield is pretty simple to inlay H2oknife sells a parsing plate and shield blanks. My way is kind of opposite most, I clamp the parsing plate to the handle scale and put it on my drill press (most people use a dremel with a router attachment) and use a Dremel 113 engraving cutter to gradually remove the material.
20210418_203056_copy_2448x2277.jpg

MTBob

The shield is pretty simple to inlay H2oknife sells a parsing plate and shield blanks. My way is kind of opposite most, I clamp the parsing plate to the handle scale and put it on my drill press (most people use a dremel with a router attachment) and use a Dremel 113 engraving cutter to gradually remove the material.
View attachment 77866
So, in this case, the key to removing material is that there are no inside corners with a radius less than 1/16"? Right?
Do you then engrave the insert yourself - either before or after gluing into handle? That looks like a whole different set of skills / tools.

You pretty much got it. A traditional knife would usually have peened pins that go through the cover and liners, because this knife is constructed differently it's press-fit with superglue (took a light tap with a rubber mallet to seat properly).
Correct, the engraving is a whole different matter done by a professional hand engraver.

Craig

KNIFE MAKER
Craig, if I print this on standard paper will it be to scale?
I really want to make a slipjoint for my Dad who will be retiring in a year.....figured I better get on it now as I am slooooow.
Print it out and measure the handle length. It normally needs to be reduced or enlarged to make it the correct size.