New (to me) Vertical mill!

webicons

Hey Y’all - Haven’t been on in a while (life gets in the way of the hobbies sometimes) but I just wanted to share a new piece of equipment I got for the shop. It’s a Rockwell 21-100 vertical mill I found at auction ($400!).

She was pretty worn and tired when she came in. Took me about 2 months to rebuild it; replace bearings, paint, electrical, etc but I think she came out fine.

I’m still trudging along the learning process; slowly but surely and enjoying every step along the way. Looking forward to upping my knife making game with the mill.

As always, thanks for everyone’s support here.

Attachments

• A8710F4B-3D3E-4615-91A0-CD964EEE82F5.jpeg
    A8710F4B-3D3E-4615-91A0-CD964EEE82F5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 124976CB-966C-4318-8840-E91792D669B4.jpeg
    124976CB-966C-4318-8840-E91792D669B4.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 35
I've used those and diamonds and Rusnoks...all great light duty mills (all very similar in design) that take up almost NO floor space. You did a real nice job on that..will serve you for years to come!

We built "transoms" and mounted outrigger casters to them and could wheel them all over the shop. They were often used as second op machines right next to the cnc mills and lathes.

There was a similar one I used at the last place I worked. It was made by Rotex. I wanted to buy it but the owner sold everything to the competing company. I do remember that it used some sort of collets.

Jacob

We built "transoms" and mounted outrigger casters to them and could wheel them all over the shop. They were often used as second op machines right next to the cnc mills and lathes.

Do you have photos of the transoms? I’m considering using the plain Jane leveling feet but all us garage guys knows how nice it is to roll equipment around.

Do you have photos of the transoms? I’m considering using the plain Jane leveling feet but all us garage guys knows how nice it is to roll equipment around.
I don't and haven't worked there in 17 years...But I think I could sketch it...

Clever. I like that design. You can move it around and then just deploy the screws when it’s in place. I think I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!

They were "low slung" about 1/2" clearance on the bottom. That keeps 'em from being "tippy" when moving...you want them to hit on the frame before going over.

Back